Laminate around tile and under refrigerator

Old 01-15-08, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate around tile and under refrigerator

I'm about to tile my den and kitchen area. It is essentially one large room with a fireplace. The fireplace has 12x12 tiles two deep and four tiles wide.

When I lay the laminate down next to the tile should I also do the 1/4 inch gap for swelling then lay down molding to hide the space or tile right up to the tile?

I noticed when I ripped out the vinyl flooring in the kitchen the builder did not put vinyl under the stove or dishwasher, only the refrigerator. I'm guessing this was due to heat issues? If so I should not laminate under the store or dishwasher correct? What about the fridge?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-08, 01:32 PM
Your install

First, yes, you should leave the required 3/8 inch gap along EVERY edge of your laminate-- whether it is against a wall, against existing tile, or even against carpet. Yes, you will need to cover the gap with a "transition strip".

As far as under the appliances: In three houses I've lived in, I've never seen flooring of any kind underneath the dishwasher (presumably because that is more of a "permanent" appliance). You WILL want the laminate to go a few inches beyond the front edge however!

As far as the stove and fridge-- I see no reason to NOT lay your laminate to completely cover these areas. A properly working fridge will not leak on the floor, nor does any oven or stove "heat" the floor at all. I would recommend removing the apliances during the laminate install and do it all.

NOTE: There are mixed opinions about installing laminate in a kitchen - mostly because there is the potential for water to end up on the floor (from spills, etc etc). For the most part- so long as a spill is quickly cleaned up, you'll be fine. Also, you do NOT *mop* a laminate floor-- use something like one of those spraying swiffers or similar.

Lastly- because you are installing laminate in a kitchen area, you SHOULD use glue between the joints, even though most laminate these days is "click together". The glued joints will resist water and spills much more than without it.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-08, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the great information.

With the transition strip is there a channel the strip sits in? At the local big box place they were trying to get us to buy these kits that had various types of strips with a plastic channel that fastened to the subfloor between the laminate and the tile/carpet etc.

Old 01-15-08, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, it's called FastTrim. Dupont, Pergo, etc all use these transition strip kits now. You can still order individual pieces to fit the lengths you need, but they are special order.