Gapping laminate Floor help

Old 01-15-08, 06:00 PM
Unhappy Gapping laminate Floor help

Hi all, Im new here, I found this site trying to find an answer to my problem that seems to be getting worse each week.

About 2 years ago I purchased a whole bunch of Mohawk laminate flooring to replace the 30 year old ugly carpet that was in my recently purchased first home. The tongue and groove floating floor seemed simple enough, and i installed it without incident.

Now over this past summer I noticed a few gaps starting to form between planks. I live in Reno, NV, high desert, so its definately not moisture, and the packages spent several days in our place before I opened them. The gaps are getting bigger and and can feel movement on a couple when you walk on them. What gives? I don't really want to disassemble the entire floor....

We did get a piano, which is pretty heavy, maybe caused a little bit of movement when moving it, I can't be sure. Is there a way to tap them back into place? Its happening in several spots and its really starting to get to me. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-08, 05:25 AM
Did you rotate the planks into the long side, and then tap the ends together?

Old 01-16-08, 08:42 AM
I definitely rotated them on the long side. That's where they're separating, its not the short ends.

Old 01-16-08, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
gapping

Maybe I'm way off base here...but was this a snap together, or glue together floor?
Or is the Mohawk only snap (glueless, click, insert and rotate, whatever) together?

Old 01-16-08, 09:49 AM
Your fine! It was the glueless, floating floor, snap together. when I say I rotated em together, I mean that when I would start a new row, I'd put the new planks just shy of 90 degrees against the ones I already laid and rotate em down to lay them, so that there were no gaps whatsoever. At this point the damage is there, im curious if theres a fix for it.

Old 01-16-08, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
gaps

Ok EM

I really was just wondering. I know you won't believe me, but I had an acquaintance who didn't glue his snap together floor together AND then wondered why it opened up. I know, read The Instructions. Knew another guy who said he always glued the snap together kind as well. People do the darndest things.

Old 01-16-08, 02:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is a chance you can fix it. To give you better information, I would like to get the image. Is there any chance you can submit it?

Did you keep did you leave gaps between the floor and the walls?

Did you change the direction of the laminate from horizontal to vertical?

If yes, did you use T-molding? Is it 8.3 or 12.5 mm?

Jacob

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 01-16-08 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising not permitted.
Old 01-16-08, 03:54 PM
Hey guys,

Yes, I did leave gaps at the walls. Though i didn't measure any, there were none that butted right up against the wall. The temperature definately fluctuates alot here, but it tends to stay dry.

I didn't change the direction of the planks at all, its all kinda, perpendicular to the front door of the house. I will take a few pictures of it this evening and post them up when I can. Thanks!

Old 01-16-08, 05:52 PM
Did you acclimate the flooring product to the temperature and humidity to the rooms where it is was to be installed? Leave recommended expansion gaps? Install recommended vapor retarder beneath flooring and in crawl space and/or over dry basement, underlayment, and do recommended subfloor prep, address moisture issues, and maintain temp and humidity at contant year round levels of approx. 70 degrees and 35-55% humidity level? You indicate that temp and humidity fluctuate alot there. It does everywhere. Maintaining interior levels is crucial to flooring performance.

So, you are feeling movement? Is this a floating system? You will feel movement. That is one of the most common complaints with floating systems. If interior temp and humidity levels are not maintained, problems will arise.

Old 01-16-08, 08:20 PM
Do you have something heavy, like a book self on one side of the room, and on the opposite side of the room, or at least the gapping, some other piece of real heavy furniture, like a piano??

Old 01-16-08, 08:47 PM
OK, you kinda hit the nail on the head there. Yes, i did let it acclimate, several days, did put a barrier down, etc.

However, I DO have a piano at one far end of the room, then a rather heavy (ish) bookshelf at the other end.

The bookshelf has been in since the floor was complete, the piano came a year and a half later, the gapping started shortly thereafter (in months)

Anyway, a couple of pics of the gapping:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/DSCF0932.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/DSCF0934.jpg

Thanks alot, guys, I know its frustrating trying to help an amateur, and it is much appreciated.

Old 01-18-08, 09:52 AM
So, would it help if the bookcase and piano are on the same end of the floor? And is there a way to correct the gapping that's already occurred?

Old 01-21-08, 03:11 PM
Ya, that can happen. Especially during the heating season, when things dry and shrink. Real heavy weight, opposite each other, can lock it down. Usually gapping, and not buckling.

Uninstalling, and reinstalling, using glue on any planks with damaged lock tabs.

Old 02-22-08, 05:28 AM
Sensations?

Hi. I'm wondering if you've been able to fix your gapping problem. We have a gapping problem, too, but there are no heavy pieces in our room. The laminate was professionally installed.

Last edited by Buckeye1; 02-23-08 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-24-08, 08:23 AM
I haven't tried yet. I haven't gotten the motivation to pull it all up quite yet, I think I need to wait until the mrs. goes away next month.

Old 03-04-08, 07:13 AM
Let me know how it goes. We are still trying to figure out what to do with ours. Is your floor Mohawk "Sensations" by chance?

Old 03-08-08, 10:14 AM
I didn't ever change direction, I may have shortchanged the gap at the walls a bit (I still always had at least 1/4 inch or so) but I guess pulling it all up might go easier as I have everything already cut.... ANd then I'll ignore the directions and glue it? I DID however, maybe F up because where it meets the kitchen vinyl floor (against the ends of the boards, not the sides) I glued a wood transition to both, but it was there a long time before this all started. Originally it was a soft foamy crap fake wood piece that got destroyed by walking on it so I replaced it with wood i glued down on both surfaces. Pretty soon I'll pull it up and letcha all know what happened.