Laminate flooring: Attached underlayment or separate underlayment?

Old 01-19-08, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate flooring: Attached underlayment or separate underlayment?

I am planning an installtion of laminate flooring in my basement. I've performed a test with plastic to see if there is moisture coming up from the floor, and it seems OK (ie, no moisture on the underside of plastic taped down 24 hours).

I am wondering if it is better to get a floor with preattached underlayment or if it is better to go with a separate underlayment? I imagine preattached saves time, but separate means you can get the best underlayment for your own situation. Is that pretty much it, or are there other issues to consider?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-08, 09:30 AM
The preattached underlayment is more of a marketing pitch than actually performance related. The underlayment costs the factory .02 to .04 cents a square foot, depending on the type used (this does not include cork, but the foams and rubbers). In return, the retailers can mark the flooring up a tremendous amount for a small investment.

The reality is that when put in place, there are gaps in teh underlayment where the material goes together. Put a few peices together and flip over to have a look for yourself. Image this was a boat in water, would you feel comfortable launching in this?

The best solution and recommended method is to put an underlayment down for your situation. If you are on a budget, then the 3 in 1 foams will suffice, although not the greatest. Roofing companies and some flooring retailers carrier a rubber membrane called rain shield (other names across the USA) that comes in a roll like roofing felt. This material cost about $.80 to $1 a SF but is well worth the investment. I have never seen an issue with a floor using this material. You can penetrate the material with a screwdriver, and the rubber seals right around it keeping moisture out.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Old 01-19-08, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by mpeterson72 View Post
...Roofing companies and some flooring retailers carrier a rubber membrane called rain shield (other names across the USA) that comes in a roll like roofing felt. This material cost about $.80 to $1 a SF but is well worth the investment. I have never seen an issue with a floor using this material. You can penetrate the material with a screwdriver, and the rubber seals right around it keeping moisture out.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks. I did a google search for rain shield, but didn't get the right hits. Can you tell me who manufacturers this product?

Thanks,
Guy

Old 01-19-08, 03:20 PM
A product that is as good and is gaining a lot of momentum is;

http://www.protectowrap.com/products/flooring.php

Look at the wispermat HW. You will be glad you made the investment.