getting ready to install laminate, how to undercut doorway transitions?

Old 01-19-08, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
getting ready to install laminate, how to undercut doorway transitions?

Hello.

I'm getting ready to do about 1000 sq ft of laminate next weekend and cannot figure out how to undercut the door jams where the laminate will butt up against carpet.
The only solution I can think of is to run the laminate all the way through the door jam so the whole casing is undercut or undercut just the laminate side of the molding and put the transition almost along that wall.

any input is appreciated, I can post a pic if my description doesn't make sense.
Thanks!

I'm using the surface source laminate from lowe's, it appears to be made by kronotex.

Oh and a side question, I'm going to be installing the laminate over an area that transitions from vinyl to carpet, once the carpet is up do I need to be concerned with going over the vinyl to convrete transition? I'd like to avoid pulling the vinyl.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-08, 11:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They have door jamb saws you can rent or you can purchase a manual undercut saw. The undercut saw is usually in the flooring section of big box stores where the trowels, spacers, etc are.

This would be the cleanest install and look better.

If you don't want to do this, you can install the floor about 1/4 away from the jam and install quarter round moulding.

You can float the floor over the vinyl.

Old 01-19-08, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
They have door jamb saws you can rent or you can purchase a manual undercut saw. The undercut saw is usually in the flooring section of big box stores where the trowels, spacers, etc are.

This would be the cleanest install and look better.

If you don't want to do this, you can install the floor about 1/4 away from the jam and install quarter round moulding.

You can float the floor over the vinyl.

I have an undercut saw, but how do I undercut it for the transition? Just back cut it like halfway?
does that make sense?

Old 01-19-08, 12:03 PM
here's a photo of what I'm talking about.

if I'm replacing the carpet with laminate, and will tile over the vinyl later, how do I cut that jam? it seems to me like you really need to cut the whole thing, all the way through the doorway.

Old 01-20-08, 05:32 PM
maybe the question doesn't make sense?

Old 01-20-08, 08:23 PM
It makes perfect sense.

What is going to be the height difference between these two rooms? If they will be the same, undercut the entire jam at the same height, or undercut to the height you need to get the floor under there.

Old 01-20-08, 08:38 PM
It makes perfect sense.

What is going to be the height difference between these two rooms? If they will be the same, undercut the entire jam at the same height, or undercut to the height you need to get the floor under there.
it'll be about the same as the carpet is now, slightly less. I have door jams that will be carpet up against laminate and laminate up against vinyl until I tile the bathrooms.

How do I undercut just half of it though? just start the saw at the desired point and back cut with it until through?
If I cut all the way I'll have to put the transition inside the other room which might look goofy.

here's another fracking question, what to do in the kitchen up against the cabinets. leave gap and quarter round or go right up against the cabinets and caulk?

Old 01-21-08, 04:43 PM
Pull the carpet. Prep the substrate. Cut your transition piece. Mark where the transition will be and where the flooring needs to go to to make it. Use a piece of flooring and lay it next to the jamb, press down and scribe the jamb. Now cut it.

A manual on top of a piece of flooring or an electric jamb saw, set to depth. Chisel out the mess. vacuum up the dust. lay your floor.

Old 01-21-08, 05:40 PM
thanks!

Nail or glue the transition U channel down on concrete?

Old 01-21-08, 06:21 PM
A construction adhesive or Liquid nails will hold that channel down no problem. The only problem you might have is if you ever need to remove it, it will not come up. If you do not like the sound of that, drill pilot holes into the slab and secure it with Tapcons, or cement nails.

Old 01-21-08, 08:15 PM
A construction adhesive or Liquid nails will hold that channel down no problem. The only problem you might have is if you ever need to remove it, it will not come up. If you do not like the sound of that, drill pilot holes into the slab and secure it with Tapcons, or cement nails.
Nah glue is fine, it'll come up and I'll go sparingly.

Now the woman is having second thoughts on the product, time for a new thread

Old 01-26-08, 02:31 PM
man, all aboard the failboat.

this didn't go well, the product didn't meet our expectations, didn't fit well and chipped easily so we ripped it back up.

Old 01-27-08, 05:31 PM
Alright, found some quick-step for about $2 a sq ft shipped and ordered some of that, hopefully it'll go better this time around.