What do I do aftter applying Polyurethane to wood floors.

Old 01-19-08, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do I do aftter applying Polyurethane to wood floors.

Hey guys, I finished repairing some deep scratches in my dark walnut wood floors. My floors are real wood with a polyurethane finish.

I applyed 3 coats and sanded betweene each coat with 220Grit Sandapaer. Only problem is that it does'nt shine with the rest of the floor, it has a dull look.

Should I get an orbital buffer to buff this area back to a shine so it shines like the rest of the wood floors???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-08, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
What sheen was on the poly label?
Satin, semi-gloss and gloss are the 3 common sheens. I suspect you may have used satin.

Old 01-19-08, 04:50 PM
I agree with Marksr, it sounds that you are one sheen off. Buffing wont solve the problem.

Old 01-19-08, 04:54 PM
im using clear semi-gloss. its the same polyurethane quarts that were in the closet when i got the place. it was the same quarts they used originally...

Question: when is buffing neccessary...???

Old 01-19-08, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
How old is the poly you used?

Old 01-19-08, 05:01 PM
HmMmM...Good question. That I wouldnt know. When i got this place 1 month ago, it was in the closet. Half of the quart was empty. But I believe it was used before I moved in here.

Old 01-19-08, 05:03 PM
I would try to buy the same finish in 2 different sheens. Then try a test on a small area.

Old 01-19-08, 05:06 PM
I would say 3 months.

Are you guys saying that using the same polyurethane, and applying correctly while sanding in between phases. That once it dries it should match. That there is no reason why I should buff the floors?

I thought buffing the floors wil shine it up and it was normal for the urethane to be dull after applications...

Old 01-19-08, 05:08 PM
The floor would get duller over time not shinnier. Have you buffed the existing floor? If not, then I agree with most in that it has to be the sheen or age of the finish.

Old 01-19-08, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Polyurethane doesn't really buff. We think the problem might be that the can you used was too old or that it wasn't the same stuff in the first place.

Old 01-19-08, 05:13 PM
Well im positive that its the same urethane, but yes it can be old.

The floors look like they were just done. Very Shiny. Ive never buffed it.

All i did was repair about 6 different planks. Apllied urethane, then sanded, then again urethane then I let it dry. But looking at it at an angle you can see exactly where the urethane was applied. So I figured the last step was to buff it to shine it back up..

I beleive im leaving out some valuable imfo. I didnt use a brush, i used those black sponge like apllicators from home depot...

Old 01-19-08, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the old poly stir up well? especially what settled in the bottom of the can?
Had it been overly thinned?

Old 01-19-08, 05:17 PM
Not sure, remember its the existing can that I found in the closet.

Old 01-19-08, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd get a new can of poly, either sem-gloss or gloss [or both] and see how that looks on the floor. Generally an area that is touched up will be a little shinier than the surrounding wood, usually with time the sheen will lessen making it to blend better with the old.

Are you sure the quarts were used on the floor? It would be a odd for poly to be bought in small amounts to do a floor. It is also possible that they were asked to leave a little poly and that quart was the only empty [small] container they had.

Old 01-19-08, 06:42 PM
yea im going to get a new quart. this urethane is very think i noticed.

i do notice that in the light in the rest of the floors, i can see where an orbital machine passed, but it doesnt neccessarily mean it was buffing, it could of been sanding then stained.

Old 01-19-08, 07:17 PM
The way that the floor has been sanded may also make a difference. If you sanded it in one direction (best way is in the same direction as the grain in the wood) and the last person sanded it cross-grain, or not at all, that can explain the difference. An alternative to 220 is to sand with extra fine steel wool (do not use steel wool with waterborne finishes). I found the steel wool on urethane was much gentler than 220.

I wonder too, if you just need to wait three months for the work you did to have enough time to age and completely cure.

Jai

Old 01-20-08, 09:08 AM
Thanks a lot guys for all you rimput.

Last night I tried a plank. goin ghtrough the right procedures. I woke up this morning to find that it has worked.

A little brush strokes, but I htink perfection is not easy. What exaclty is thinning the urethane, making it less think.??????

Old 01-20-08, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can thin the poly slightly with mineral spirits or paint thinner.