Nailing hardwood to cement slab?

Old 01-20-08, 07:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Nailing hardwood to cement slab?

Need some input!

Had a customer come into HD yesterday and they were installing what looked to be 1/2" or so hardwood onto a slab. The issue he was having is that the 2.5" planks have bowed and he can't keep them tight to the adjoining piece as the adhesive dries.

A floor installer that he knows said to nail fluted nails through the top of the planks into the cement to help hold the planks correctly. Once the adhesive dries, they were going to bust the tops of the nails off and fill with wood putty.

They were going to drill pilot holes in the floor first to prevent splitting.

Has anyone done this, and does it work?

Old 01-20-08, 09:02 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seems like a lot of work. Why dont they just use heavy items such as buckets of glue to hold down the hardwood? Dont use buckets of water as it will raise the humidity levels in the room; think he has bowed boards now!

Old 01-20-08, 09:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I should have been more descriptive and I think I used the wrong term. I should have said the planks were not straight, not bowed up.

Old 01-20-08, 11:12 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Our folks used straps to hold together flooring that was bowed. The problem with the fluted nails is that they are penetrating any moisture protection and with hardwood that is never recommended.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: