Water under Laminate Flooring !! Pllease Help!!

Old 01-21-08, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water under Laminate Flooring !! Pllease Help!!

So last night my hot water tank sprung a leak and of course I did not realize this until about 2 hours ago. All of the water from the Full hot water tank have drained onto and under my Laminate floor. I have 2 dehumidifiers running to try to help and I have soaked up as much water as I possibly can. the water is seaping through the seams of my laminate floor and because the house is old and not level the water has actually run all the way over to my kitchen about 15-20 feet away. If I walk on the floor towards my kitchen (which is slate tiles) the water will squish out.. I am worried that I will never be able to get of the water up and it will either ruin the laminate and/ or grow mold underneath it. Please help !! what can I do ??? Will the whole floor have to come up and be replaced ? what is the likelyhood that mold will grow ? the floor underneath is cement ..not sure if that makes a difference ... and because my landlord does everything half assed I doubt there is a moisture barrier ... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!! Thanks Rachel

Last edited by rachel123; 01-21-08 at 12:54 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-08, 01:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry to say, but your floor is probably destroyed. You will not be able to remove the water absorbed into the planks.

A vapor barrier would have done nothing anyways.

Water heaters require to be installed in a tub with a drain to prevent things like this.

Old 01-21-08, 01:37 PM
Thanks Mark ... yeah I figured that would have to be done

The water heater does have a drain right next to it however the bloody floor is so uneven that all the water just went right around it... see what I mean about my landlord doing stuff half assed lol all it would have taken is a level and some concreate built up in a few spots.

Looks like I have a few days / weeks of BS ahead of me

Old 01-21-08, 05:56 PM
Sorry Rachel, he is right, the floor is done. Have homeowners?