Flooring choices for kitchen

Old 01-21-08, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flooring choices for kitchen

I am putting an addition on my house and have vinyl in my kitchen now. I want to change it. I've heard many pros and cons for hardwood as well as tile being too hard and linoleum not lasting. Any suggestions? My kitchen will not be an eat in nor will there be a main door entering into it, so traffic will be for cooking and dishes. Thanks for any input.
DB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-08, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I like ceramic, but my feet and knees get sore if I'm in the kitchen for long periods of time. Vinyl is much softer - are you looking just to replace a design or worn flooring or are you looking just to change from vinyl to something else?

Old 01-22-08, 03:09 PM
We have vinyl right now and it is easier on the back, but the ? is the durability. Out existing one was toast after 5 years and it was supposedly a higher end vinyl. I've seen hardwood work in client's homes before but there are enough people out there who say it's a bad idea. Thoughts?

Old 01-23-08, 06:44 AM
I have similar questions.

My kitchen has an eat-in area. Currently has vinyl about 17 years old and beat to heck. Floor is basically solid, but I can see tears along the seams of both the vinyl (which appeared to be only 5 foot wide and along subfloor lines).

SOMETHING needs to change! I'm thinking of engineered overtop of exisitng vinyl. Does the additional foot traffic and chair scraping make a difference in slection of material?

We considered replacing the vinyl (my brother used to work for Mannington and I could get the high end stuff dirt cheap, but estimates to install ran to almost 3K!). So I'm thinking of laying down a laminate-type product myself.

Tom

Old 01-23-08, 08:58 AM
I prefer tile in my kitchen due to the inherent possibility of liquid spills - making for broken dishes/glasses - but a long lasting/beautiful finish. My second choice is solid hardwood - though care has to be taken with liquid spills to avoid damage to the surface. Engineered wood is, well, fake wood - and, to me, looks and feels like it - regardless of price point/quality. Vinyl - well - that belongs in mobile homes.

Old 01-23-08, 02:30 PM
I've had all four in kitchens. vinil is more forgiving on your back and cheap. hardwood is beutiful but it nicks and show any water spots. laminate is o.k holds up better ti nicks but hates water, if water gets on to it for any extended time the seams will buckle. imo tile is all the best choice. durable,and multiple color choices ( to match contertops)imho.