Will 1000+ Pound Aquarium Lock In Floating Engineered Floor?

Old 01-22-08, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will 1000+ Pound Aquarium Lock In Floating Engineered Floor?

We are contemplating installing an engineered wood floor on a concrete slab, with click-lock products in the lead at the moment.

My question: am I asking for trouble if I place an aquarium weighing north of 1000 pounds on the floating floor? If so, any alternatives you could suggest would be welcome. Besides locking in the floor, I have a concern about the occasional minor water spill as well. Placing the aquarium in another room isn't a great option as I would have to undertake some significant structural work to prevent it from ending up in the basement.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-08, 09:54 AM
As an aquarium owner myself - I am familiar with the pitfalls of critical placement. The engineered flooring laid over concrete isn't nearly as much the issue as is the potential for spillage. There are two types of aquariums - those that have spilled water - and those that will spill water. That water is the enemy of wood floors - and, if not wiped up within minutes/couple of hours - of the spill - will end up warping/cupping/destroying your floor - be it engineered wood or true 3/4inch hardwood. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - and I would work to make sure the filter system and the aquarium itself have a place for spilled water to gather other than the flooring. I've installed the wet filter system in tubs that will hold a few gallons of water. The tank is another issue as any sort of holding tub is unsightly and "less than practical".

Old 01-22-08, 04:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've seen a 40 gallon tank destroy 500sqft of newly installed laminate flooring. I couldn't even imagine the damage a 100+ gallon tank would do.