Did I get bait and switched? Floor Muffler vs SoundStep

Old 01-23-08, 04:02 PM
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Did I get bait and switched? Floor Muffler vs SoundStep

I got quotes for laminate and underlayment from a local flooring distributer.

When I was asking for quotes, I asked for his recommendation on the best underlayment he had available. His recommendation was Floor Muffler, and gave me a quote.

The prices on the quotes were great (from what I can tell), so I placed an order.

However, when my wife came home with the load of laminate and underlayment, Floor Muffler is not what I got.

I got SoundStep, by MP Global Products.

I have my doubts that SoundStep is of the same quality as Floor Muffler. If so, no big deal, but if not, I got the ole 'bait n switch'.

I haven't installed the underlayment yet, so if I got jipped I plan on taking it back.

The question is, did I get jipped? Is SoundStep inferior to Floor Muffler?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-08, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you talked to the salesman yet? As him what is going on -

Old 01-23-08, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by thezster View Post
Have you talked to the salesman yet? As him what is going on -
No, not yet. Just realized it after business hours.

Thought I would ask you guys in case SoundStep was as good, if not better, than Floor Muffler. I just wouldn't even bother to bring it up.

Old 01-24-08, 05:05 AM
Plus, I want to know before I talk to him so I will know if he is lying or not.

If I knew it were better I wouldn't take his word for it, I'd ask him to make it right.

If I didn't know, he could tell me it is just as good and I'd have to take his word for it.

Old 01-24-08, 10:00 AM
Just as good...... Better...... simply a matter of opinion. You contracted for a specific product because you felt it was the one you wanted, based on his recommendation. If you got something other than what you picked out - you should complain and get what you ordered originally.

Old 01-24-08, 10:50 AM
Just as good...... Better...... simply a matter of opinion. You contracted for a specific product because you felt it was the one you wanted, based on his recommendation. If you got something other than what you picked out - you should complain and get what you ordered originally.
I understand that there will be differences of opinions, just like there are differences of opinions on whether or not Chevy is better than Ford.

I guess the reason I was asking was to find out if the Floor Muffler was an advanced type of underlayment and SoundStep was a basic type.

To further the analogy... If I need to tow 10,000 pounds, I need a strong truck to do the job. We can argue all day long as to whether that truck should be a Chevy or a Ford, but what we should agree on is that the bigger the truck the better it will do the job. So, are we comparing an F350 to a S10, or an F350 to a 3500?

To keep the analogy closer to home, is the Floor Muffler like the 30 yr warranty, name brand, premier laminate you want in the finer homes and is the SoundStep like the Lowe's 15 yr, basic builder's grade laminate you would put in a commercial application? I think it is safe to say that the differences aren't just a matter of opinion.

Thanks

Old 01-24-08, 12:02 PM
I certainly can't argue your point - and didn't mean to..... Simply meant - if you ordered a Ford F-350 and got a F-150/250 or Chevy 3500 - you should call the salesman and ask why.....

Old 01-24-08, 12:50 PM
I certainly can't argue your point - and didn't mean to..... Simply meant - if you ordered a Ford F-350 and got a F-150/250 or Chevy 3500 - you should call the salesman and ask why.....
We'll when I called in the order I couldn't remember the name of the underlayment. When we were quoting I told him I wanted the best underlayment he had and he said it was the Floor Muffler. When I called back to order (a week or two later), I told him that I couldn't remember the name of it but whatever it was called it was the best underlayment he had. Only after I got home and pulled out my notes did I see it was called Floor Muffler.

To continue the truck analogy, if I ordered an F350 and got a chevy 3500, it wouldn't bother me any because all we are talking about is a difference in brand.

Oh well, I'll just call him and see what he says.

Old 01-24-08, 01:26 PM
What did you pay for? Wasn't there a receipt? I know...dumb question, but I had to ask. I'd find out the difference in cost if you can. Sorry I don' tknow the difference between the 2 but I'd go with one that has a longer warranty so long as the manufacturer has been around that long. I did a search on the 2 underlayments and I can't find any information on SoundStep. Weird. Though...I do see the installation instructions.

You COULD have someone else call and ask the same things you asked when you got the quote and see what they say.

Old 01-24-08, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I got a receipt. The reciept is just a hand scribed note that says "8 - 100 sq ft roll foam underlayment".

It took me a long time to find the website about the product too. Finally had to search the manufacturere.

Go here for the soundstep:

http://www.mpglobalproducts.com/soundstep_index.html

Go here for the floor muffler:

http://www.floormuffler.com/floormuffler.html

The only thing that strikes me right off the bat is when you go to the specifications section, the floor muffler has higher IIC and STC ratings that the soundstep.

Another thing that bothers me is that in my searching for floor muffler I see that I can by it online for $.30/sq. ft., and I paid $.60.

Anyway...

I called in and the salesman was out, so I decided I'd talk to someone else and see what they said.

I told them I had talked to the salesman and they he had used the term "Floor Muffler". The guy said that he wasn't exactly familiar with that product, but that the salesman had recently moved in from out of state and the salesman was constantly using terms and product names from his previous experiences. He said that the basic stuff they keep in stock was sold for around $.25 /sq foot.

The guy got my name and number and told me he'd check on the order. A few minutes later he called me back and said he saw where the salesman ordered my underlayment from their distributors, and said he could tell by the their cost that the underlayment was an upgrade.

I don't think the guy I talked to today was lying.

EDIT:
I called a different retailer and asked them to research and quote me that specific brand/product. We'll see what we find out.

Old 01-25-08, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Whitenack View Post
EDIT:
I called a different retailer and asked them to research and quote me that specific brand/product. We'll see what we find out.
I spoke with another salesman through another distributer. I didn't tell him anything, other than I was looking for a specific underlayment called soundstep.

He called me back and quoted me a price of $.54 per sq ft, which is close enough to what I paid. However, he said if I were really interested in a sound dampening underlayment, there's a better underlayment out there with higher rated capabilities, and the price is not much more. The name? Floor Muffler!

So, I think I am going to call my salesman back and ask him to return what he sent me and order the Floor Muffler. Anyone see a problem with this?