mineral spirits?

Old 01-23-08, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mineral spirits?

We finished sanding our oak fllors. not sure if they are red or white. I tend to think they are red. Anyway we are not staining them. We are using a water based poly. Someone told me to clean them w/ mineral spirits before we apply the first coat of poly. Any suggestions?

here's 2 pics
http://www.myfishpix.com/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/1579

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-08, 10:04 AM
Beautiful job there dude! I've never heard of cleaning with mineral spirits before staining/sealing - but that doesn't mean that some folks don't do so to remove any residual "gunk" from the sanded floors. BTW - I would guess red oak from your photos. For me, the key to a smooth finish is ensuring all dust/debris is cleaned off the sanded floors prior to sealing - and doing the same between coats. I use tack rags to pick up the random dust that is always left after sanding.

Old 01-24-08, 11:07 AM
thank you.
Going to start tonight so I'll post back if the mineral spirits screw things up...........

Old 01-24-08, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
I've used mineral spirits or paint thinner rag to wipe up any dust before finishing but I always use an oil base stain and/or finish.

I don't use water base poly enough to know a lot about it but you might need to make sure all the mineral spirits has evaporated before applying water base finish.

Old 01-24-08, 05:43 PM
It is called Tacking the floor"

I don't do much sand & finish work, I usually subcontract that part out after I install it but, I don't think Mineral Spirits and waterbased go together??

I thought tacking with a damp well rang out(so you don't pop the grain) tack cloth was it.