Achieving randomness

Old 01-25-08, 02:19 PM
Achieving randomness

I'm installing a straightforward click and lock floor in a 12 x 12 room.

Are there any techniques, tricks, rules of thumb for insuring that the planks look randomly installed, or just one general one that you make cuts so that no seam is less than about 10 inches from an adjacent course's seams and no seam is closer than about 10 inches from the wall ?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-08, 02:38 PM
It probably depends on the flooring that you purchased. If the panels are all the same length and there is no random pattern on each panel, then the "general" ruke of thimb will prevail.

Old 01-25-08, 02:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The piece that you cut at the end of your first run will be the start of the "randomness". Use the left over piece you cut to start your new row. This will stagger all your seams.

Old 01-25-08, 04:16 PM
Thanks all for the helpful replies. I feel more confident now. I should have made clear, but you all picked up on it, that I was not talking about randomness in the color/pattern (I'm aware of the tip about drawing from several open boxes) but rather seam randomness. Also BTW, all the pieces are the same length. But it sounds like reusing the last piece cut from the prior course should help (until, I guess, it is less that 10 inches or so). But then I guess I just start with a new whole piece.

Thanks again.

Bob

Old 01-27-08, 11:24 AM
If it is less then 10" just glue it to the adjoining plank.

Instead of starting in a stairstep pattern, Use a full plank, then your small piece to start a row, and then a 3/4 length plank to start the next row, then a shorter one.

Take 4 planks and cut them different lengths and use them as your starter rows, to get a random endjoint stagger, as mentioned above.

Old 02-12-08, 05:44 AM
So with the idea of using your excess from a cut to start another row... When you cut the piece you end up losing the groove for the second piece of that row to fit in. How can you use a cut portion for the start of a (second) row? My thought was that it would have to be the end piece of a row since it would have a tongue on one side and you wouldn't need the groove on the other.

Old 02-12-08, 04:52 PM
dwlipham, if that was a question, your thoughts are absolutely right since you only need to connect one side on the starting piece on the row.

BTW: Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums

Old 08-16-08, 02:03 PM
RE: achieving randomness

Sorry, can't help, but had to say I love your subject line. Very zen.