First finish coat = hi-gloss?

Old 01-25-08, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First finish coat = hi-gloss?

Hello all,

I'm installing an oak floor in a house that I'm currently building. I've heard some say that the first finish coat should be a hi-gloss coat regardless of what the final coat is to be. I'm assuming this is b/c it's supposed to be a "harder" coat than the others. Any truth to this? Is it a good idea? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if I decide to stain the floor, should I use a sealer then the stain, or use a sealer/stain combo in one shot? Again. all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-08, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't often do floors but I've stained/varnished/polyurathaned a lot of wood over the last 40 yrs. As far as I know the sheen of any varnish or poly has nothing to do with how hard it dries. There can be a difference in the hardness between different brands.

You always want to stain before applying and sealer or poly. Sometimes a wood conditioner [also called a wash sealer] is used over soft woods to help the stain be more uniform. This does not apply to your floor!

IMO a sealer/stain combo would be to hard to control on a floor. Better to stain, let it dry and then seal [or first coat of poly.

Old 01-27-08, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is common practice to coat with gloss, until the final coat of say, satin. If you put 3 coat of stain on, the dulling agents in the finish to make it a satin, will make the finish look cloudy as you look down into the wood. Gloss build coats add more clearity, to the look, to see more beauty in the wood.