1/4" gap on hardwood floor

Old 01-26-08, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
1/4" gap on hardwood floor

I removed a closet as part of my kitchen remodel and just finished patching the floor. To my dismay the last board has a 1/4" gap on the ajoining one because the floor was installed after the closet and they are not perfectly strait apparently.

My thought (instead of ripping up the whole floor) is to use a wood putty to patch it from the likes of Minwax or similar. My concern is that since it is winter now that come summer it will crack due to expansion.

Can anyone provide advice on this situation?

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-08, 07:31 AM
My other thought was to rip down a thin piece of oak and glue it in the gap - is this a better approach?

Old 01-28-08, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

not exactly sure of the problem from the explanation but here goes. sounds like you have filled the gaps that were left by the walls and now have a too big gap at the wall? if that is it, will the baseboard and show mould cover it? can you remove the last piece and replace it with a fabricated and wider(1/4 in.) piece? maybe i missed the problem. i relocated a vent in my hardwood after installing a door, and i made a couple of pieces of flooring from oak stock. more info might bring more help!

Old 02-04-08, 07:27 AM
Sorry I wasn't clearer. The basic problem is I have a gap 1/4" in the middle of the floor that runs about 2 feet (as a result of repairing boards to the left of it). The gap is so big you can see the tounge of the adjoining board.

Thanks for the reply and let me know if you need more info.

Old 02-04-08, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I removed a closet as part of my kitchen remodel and just finished patching the floor. To my dismay the last board has a 1/4" gap on the ajoining one because the floor was installed after the closet and they are not perfectly strait apparently.

My thought (instead of ripping up the whole floor) is to use a wood putty to patch it from the likes of Minwax or similar. My concern is that since it is winter now that come summer it will crack due to expansion.

Can anyone provide advice on this situation?

Thanks..
it sounds as if a board is/was warped at installation? if it is in the middle of the floor, that is a large problem(work wise). if no one comes up with a better solution, i would opt for the cut piece of wood as opposed to the filler. the filler, as you said, would probably crack and come out. sorry i can't be of more help. I'm sort of anal when it comes to these things, so i would rip it all out. however; that is a lot of work and expense. GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-06-08, 07:20 AM
I'm thinking that the filler piece would be best as well. I would love to rip up the whole floor but there are a lot of other things I have to do on my house first so that will be for another day.