Refinishing Hardwood Floor with stains

Old 01-27-08, 04:13 PM
Question Refinishing Hardwood Floor with stains

My son purchased an older home with hardwood floors that were covered by carpeting for many years. When he removed the carpet, he discovered several white spots in the wood. We believe these spots could be stains from animal urine. We would like to refinish the entire floor, but when we tested a small area that contained one of these white spots, it stained darker in the white area than the rest of the floor. Is their anything that we can apply to these areas to keep them from staining darker than the rest of the floor?

Thanks for any information.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-08, 09:01 AM
In my experience, pet stains tend to be the darker areas rather than bleached out areas... but that's neither here nor there....

I'm interested in how you "tested" the floors. Have they been thoroughly sanded down already - or did you sand a small portion and apply stain? If so, it's going to be very difficult to determine whether or not you actually have a problem.

Old 01-28-08, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, most stains will darken the wood. is it possible that the "white" spots are the only areas were the old wood was sanded down to fresh wood? If so that would explain why those areas took the stain better.

Old 01-28-08, 11:55 AM
We sanded down a small area that included a "white" spot and then applied stain. The "white" area turned darker than the rest. I suppose that using sanding machine would ensure that we had sanded down to the raw wood. We would really like to save the floor, but not if we are going to have these dark spots. What do you suggest?

Thanks

Old 01-28-08, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hard to say without seeing it, but a good sanding job is imperitive.

Could you post a pic or two? use a free site like photobucket.com

Old 01-29-08, 05:03 PM
Possible you've got a few "soft spots" in your hardwood that absorb stain quicker/deeper than the rest. As mentioned above, it's difficult to tell without being there. You "might" consider a wood conditioner pre-stain for the white spots that will slow the stain penetration - trouble is... you'll probably get a different stain absorption with that too.

Get a pro in to look at it and give you a free estimate. While he's there - ask him what he thinks the problem/solution might be. You don't have to use his services if you want to sand it yourself (good luck there) - but might be able to pick his brain a bit before proceeding.

Old 02-03-08, 08:53 AM
It is called rot. Rotting wood is softer and more porus.

Old 10-28-09, 12:20 PM
stains

We had the same thing when our son bought a house. We sanded down to fresh wood. After tack clothing it all we layed down bleach and left it wet on top of stains. We got out of the house, next day all spots were gone and the whole floor took stain like there was there were no stains in the first place. Bleach gets out pets stains.

:PE:

Old 10-28-09, 12:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bleach also destroys wood fibers