smooth transition

Old 01-30-08, 07:26 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
smooth transition

I have two questions
1. I have a new addition and the subfloor of the addition is 1/4" lower than the exiting house and with like to install laminate floor continue from the exiting house thru the addition. What should I used to even the subfloor?
2. I have two bathroom in this addition, I'm planning to install ceramic tile on and the require to thick the subfloor which will make this floor 5/8" higher than the laminate floor. What can I used to make a smooth transition?

Old 01-31-08, 07:26 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install the ceramic tile first, using and aluminum started. If you do nothing else, you will get an edge like the one in the photo. If you want the laminate to be even with the ceramic, you will need to use floor leveler, feathering away from the ceramic tile. Plani patch used with plani patch plus (acrylic additive) works really well, though there is definitely some skill required to get a good result. You may choose to use a reducer instead of floor leveling.

As for the other side of the addition where it sounds like you have laminate meeting laminate, I would do more floor feathering. I would do anything to avoid a transition piece, though, if you get stuck, you can probably buy a transition piece to cover a 1/4 inch drop in the floor.

The leveling option is more work, but will look better in the end.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: