what is needed???

Old 01-31-08, 07:35 AM
what is needed???

Hi I am new to the forum and am looking for a little advice on how to fix up my wood floors. We ripped up the carpet that was over them to find the floors in great shape. The only issue we found was that there were some scuff marks from the old pad that seemed to remove the old finish. Now my question is if I can just run some stain or poly over the entire floor to freshen them up??? Or do I need to sand them down before applying the finishes??? The marks are hardly noticeable to the naked eye??? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-08, 03:38 PM
Time to experiment a bit to see if you can come up with a liveable solution without sanding down/staining/sealing the entire floor. If the marks are "barely noticeable"... than you might get away with it... All you can do is try. Worse that can happen is.... you fail - and then have the floor refinished entirely.

Old 02-01-08, 11:19 PM
I fixed up an old floor with lots pf small scratches by re-staining the entire floor. I didn't remove the old sealer, so the effect of the stain was not what the same as what you get when you stain the wood. The floor looked much more opaque, and all the little scratches disappeared. I would try your idea so long as you don't mind that the floor won't look like a freshly installed job.

By the way, add about 20 percent mineral spirits to your stain and 10 percent to your first coat of sealer after that. You'll need at least 3 coats of sealer to protect your stain.

This floor was badly scratched up

Old 02-04-08, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, I am thinking I may have a pro come in and give me an estimate just to see what he has to say... it would be nice not to have to sand it but i want to try and get it right. So we will see. Thanks again!