Engineered Harwood floor brands? Who is better? Why?

Old 01-31-08, 03:55 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Engineered Harwood floor brands? Who is better? Why?

Hi Guys,
I'm new but first wanted to say that everyone on this board is awesome for sharing their experiences and expertise.

As for me, I have a concrete subfloor that is flat and ready to go, but I still need to buy the wood. I've been to various online retailers such as ifloor, fastfloor, lumber liquidators and instore, HD, Lowes, etc. But I get more confused everytime.

Some floor companies have more info but honestly they don't seem that different except the price. I'm looking at 3/8" or 1/2" glue down engineered, 5 ply, with a 3mm veneer. Most have a 15 year warranty. I guess the kicker is that I can get a Timber Top (lumber liquidators) brand 5" wide santos 1/2" thick for half the price as something similar in a Bruce or Mirage.
Should I go for the less expensive one and if not why? and which brand is quality?
Anyone ever use Timber Top brand?
What brands have people used for glue down applications?
How is the wear level on their current floors?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-01-08, 04:55 AM
O
I'm pretty much in the same spot as you in the purchase timeline. I've ruled out anything from LL and Bruce, based on comments from here and afar. Many have had positive experiences with those products, but I'm electing to avoid them due to my perception of their cull rates and milling quality. My top 2 right now are Owens Plank and engineered from internetlumber.com. They have 3/16 and 5.2mm wear layers, dry sawn, respectively. Owens is only unfinished, while the other comes in both finished and unfinished. Species selection is somewhat limited in each case though. Mirage, Kahrs and Mannington generally get good reviews, but are pricey. I think your budget, lifestyle and floor longevity desire will factor into the decision. There's absolutely no way I could have even narrowed down my choices without samples, so I'd recommend that route. I hope at least some of this helps. Others will hopefully respond with after the install reviews. Good luck.

Old 02-02-08, 12:22 AM
R
Thanks Onebowl!
Great advice on getting the samples.
I originally got them to check out the colors, which is equally important since one cherry differs from another company's cherry. Anyhow, I got my first shipment of samples and simply tried to destroy them. I would scratch them, drop things on them, pour water on them, basically start with light abuse and then get tougher and tougher and see which one lasts. And there are some big differences. Aside from the wear layer which varies, you can also tell how well a company finishes the wood, if the scratches will turn white, how thick a layer of coating they have to protect the wood, blistering when water is applied and left on the top layer, etc. I know my technique isn't exactly scientific but it definitely gives you an idea of what you are getting.
Simply put you get what you pay for. For the most part, the more expensive the wood the better it does, but not always in line with the guarantees.
Anyhow, for anyone else in the same position, get some samples and tear them up. That's the best test.
I'm still waiting for some new samples to come in before I make my decision. It should be fun!

Old 02-02-08, 08:17 AM
M
Take a look at Mirage, Lauzon, BR-111 (Triangelo or other lines with the thicker wear layer). If you dig through the posts, the moderator has provided a pretty good list.

Old 02-08-08, 08:33 AM
C
I just ordered this floor 3" American Maple Natural
Westhollow® Wood
3/8" Engineered from iFloor.com Very nice quality and installed very easy and looks great. They will send free samples.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: