What to do after my 4th coat of polyurethane?

Old 02-02-08, 05:41 AM
Question What to do after my 4th coat of polyurethane?

Ok guys I repaired a 80SQ Ft. Section of my living room. I went through all the steps, and finished applying my last coat of semi gloss polyurethane last night. I woke up this morning and its dry. Now the area that i fixed looks good, but when compared side by side to the other untouched parts of the living room and looks a little duller.

Now i did not do the whole living room, just a small portion. Of course standing over it looks the same as the rest, but at an angle in the light you can see the difference.

DO I NEED TO MAYBE BUFF THE AREA?

OR IS TRYING TO MATCH THE SAME FINISH IMPOSSIBLE?

ps: the ower before me did use semi gloss previously, i can see the empty cans in the closet.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-08, 06:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is next to impossible to redo a portion of a room's floor and have it match perfectly. If you can only notice the difference when looking at if from an angle, especially if lighting makes a difference - that's probably as good as you can expect to get it.

The odds are if you put the furniture back, in a month or so you won't even notice the slight difference.

Old 02-02-08, 06:12 AM
thank you so much for that insight. I thought I did a horrible job. Alone the job came out nice, not one brush stoke, very even..I mixed 10% of mineral spirits.

But its just a tad duller at an angle...

I feel a lot better now...

Old 02-02-08, 06:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only other recourse would have been to lightly sand the rest of the floor and recoat the entire room...... but it sounds like you should be fine as is

I forgot to mention you should let the poly dry/harden for 72 hrs before setting furniture on it or subjecting it to heavy traffic.

Last edited by marksr; 02-02-08 at 06:20 AM. Reason: add info
Old 02-02-08, 06:30 AM
Oh yea, I know...thank you very much