Lock & Seal Feedback?

Old 02-02-08, 10:45 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lock & Seal Feedback?

Does anyone have any feedback on Lock & Seal sold at Sams Club? I am looking for something for the main areas of the house that will hold up pretty well. I like the look of some of this brand and the price is very good compared to the Swiftlock I liked at Lowes. Does anyone have this L&S down that can tell me about it? I want a good priced product but I also don't want to kick myself in 3 yrs if I buy a crummy floor. Thanks so much for any input.

Old 02-11-08, 07:45 AM
C
Gets my vote

Originally Posted by duckboatman
Does anyone have any feedback on Lock & Seal sold at Sams Club? I am looking for something for the main areas of the house that will hold up pretty well. I like the look of some of this brand and the price is very good compared to the Swiftlock I liked at Lowes. Does anyone have this L&S down that can tell me about it? I want a good priced product but I also don't want to kick myself in 3 yrs if I buy a crummy floor. Thanks so much for any input.
See my posting in this forum ("Lock N Seal - here we go") - which includes pictures of my install. I just finished last night as a matter of fact.

I shopped around a lot for laminate--- went to the big box strores (not impressed, all their stuff is 6mm or 7mm!, and none of it with underlayment). I then went to a supposed "flooring warehouse" referred by a friend (yeah, they had nice floors, but they were still quite pricy.

Then I ran into the laminate at sam's- and well, I was impressed. First, it's 9mm which is about as thin as I would go. The pre-attached underlayment is a huge bonus, and the stuff seems well made and is as hard as nails.

Even after that impression, I was still not completely convinced, so I ordered some samples online (not available in the store, why?) - and scratched and scratched at the surface with my car keys- and didn't even leave a mark. That sold me. (The samples also helped my wife pick out which color she wanted).

That was 4 weeks ago. I just finished the install last night (combo living room and dining room). Looks REAL NICE. I chose the antique oak - although their other colors look nice too (sienna cherry was my other favorite).

After all the thought and comparison and such, I think it was a good decision. I think the stuff is going to hold up well (I'll report back here in a year) - it installed nicely, I had NO problems with icky seams or bad edges or anything like that. It's all nice and tight and solid. Nice to walk ok.

If you want some convincing-- my final logic went something like this: Most carpets you get these days installed are going to run you something on average of $3.00 a square foot- *maybe* $2.50 if you go uber cheap - and even under the best situations, that carpet is probably only going to last say, 10 years before it's dirty and worn and has to be replaced.

So here comes along laminate flooring that's as hard as nails- and (via sams) is priced at $1.29 a square foot (and that's WITH underlayment.). Even the cheapo stuff at the big-box stores is say, $1.99 a square foot PLUS an extra 50 cents per se foot for underlayment. (so, $2.50+).

My bottom line was, how can you go wrong?????

Even if (BIG if, in my opinion) something isn't really as it seems and for some stupid reason the stuff only lasts 10 years before things start wearing down-- well, nothing's been lost because you're STILL ahead of the game when compared to the 10-year carpet that was twice as much. (and with 25 year warranty, it should be covered- SAVE YOUR RECEIPT).

Go for it.

PS: PERGO actually owns thair manufactoriung facility. Research is your friend.

A few hints that I did:

When shopping for this stuff, you'll see that online you can get a 30-pack (basically, a whole pallet) for cheaper from samsclub.com. BUT- when you factor in the shipping ($200-ish), it's still cheaper to pick up the individual packs at the store. *sigh*... I fit 28 boxes on my minivan no problem. However, if you live a LONG way from a sams and/or do not have any way to bring 1,000 pounds of flooring home-- this may be the way to go...).

When shopping at the store and picking it out- check every package for dents or whatever-- and MOST IMPORTANT- check the LOT NUMBERS on the ends of a box. Buy your entire lot using the SAME lot number. That way you know all the pieces will match perfectly.

The extra stuff is only available online-- the install kit ($17), and the t-molding stuff that you'll need for doorways. One thing I was disappointed in were the spacers that came with the install kit. The install directions call for 3/8" spacing around rooms up to 25 feet wide, and 5/8 for rooms wider than that. The spacers are 1/4". HUH? Pick up some wood trim at your local home improvement store, stuff that *is* 3/8 thick, and cut 20 pieces. Voila. $6. Note- despite the spacers thing, you STILL NEED that install kit, it comes with the proper-shaped tapping block, and s-shaped pull bar thing you'll need no matter what.

I'm going to get my quarter round (oak) from menards - cheaper.

Old 02-19-08, 08:45 AM
D
I had the same thoughts. I can replace the Sams brand in 5-10 yrs for the price of 1 install of the other brands, and if I go with Lock n Seal I can afford to buy new funiture too! Thanks for the tips. I really like the Antique oak too. I think that might be our choice if they have enough in stock when we get ready.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: