Floating Floor, Heavy china cabinet, floor dipping, HELP!

Old 02-05-08, 09:07 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Floating Floor, Heavy china cabinet, floor dipping, HELP!

Hello,

Just installed Pergo Presto flooring. Made sure I left the 1/4" all the way around and everything looked great until.......................I moved in the china cabinet against the wall in the dining room. The planks run north to south and the cabinet length is east to west. Anyways now the floor dips about a 1/4 inch under the shoe molding behind the cabinet and extending a foot or so out from each side (tapering back to be flush with the shoe molding). So is there anything I can do to remedy this other then filling in gap with silicon or something? Can I shim underneath without tearing up the floor? Am I just $%@$%@?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-08, 04:17 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Remove and reinstall the shoe molding to compensate for the weight of the china hutch. You may have to apply pressure to the shoe when installing to duplicate the weight of the hutch.

Old 02-05-08, 05:12 PM
T
wondering how to prevent a problem like this instead of trying to cover it up, would installing a piece of hardboard at approx thickness of foam underlayment, over the area, nailed tightly to floor, and leave the foam underlayment off this area, then install the flooring work? also, how can a floor expand with all the weight on it in one area? i am just concerned about a 200# plus refrigerator with 4 small rollers pressing down on 2 planks causing something to raise up. like to hear real experiences or professional opinions. btw, any idea how much the china cabinet weighs? thanks.

Old 02-06-08, 06:26 AM
C
China cabinet weighs at least 250 lbs.

I did redo the shoe molding last night and it looks ok (not great but ok, I will use a little caulk to close the rest of the gap). My main concern though is am I just hidng the problem and is it going to cost me later?

Old 02-11-08, 07:50 AM
C
I don't think this is so much a problem with the flooring installation as it was a problem with the show molding installation.

If the floor is "pressed down" by a simple piece of furniture and now you see a gap-- what you're experiencing of the floor's tendancy to kind of pop up at the edges, and that's where the molding was installed.

The floor really needs to be pushed down as the molding is installed. I've seen comments to that effect in many other places in this forum.

No, I don't think you're covering up any "problem", per se. Just re-do the molding install.