Red Oak on steps

Old 02-07-08, 03:03 PM
Red Oak on steps

We are changing the pine risers and treads on our steps to Red Oak to match our floors we just put down. My wife wants solid treads yet most sold are glued together. I heard they could sag or warp. They seem much more expensive as well. Is there anything else I am missing? Should I push for the glued together ones? Should they be extra reinforced when installed? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-08, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
You would be talking a board that is 10-12" wide I'm assuming. Boards that wide ARE more prone to warppage, which is why glued-up panels would be better. Another alternative, to give you the one-piece look would be oak veneer plywood with a solid oak trim piece on the nose which is what I use in a lot of woodworking projects. The DOWN side is I'm not sure how well it would hold up to foot traffic, but possibly enough coats of poly could be applied to protect the veneer layer.

One of the flooring pro's should be along for the definitive answer.

Old 02-08-08, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never installed any oak treads but I've stained/finished a lot of them and don't recall any of them being a solid piece of oak. I also don't recall there ever being any issues with warping or the joints seperating.

I've finished 3 types of risers, painted [pine or plywood] oak veneer and the ones joined together like the treads.

Old 02-10-08, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. It will be a 10 1/4" tread and attached from underneath with screws and glue. They are 43" long. My wife wants solid so looks like solid it is. I plan on staining and polyurathaning prior to install. I may need another coat or 2 of varnish after install. Do people do it this way? Risers to be painted.

Old 02-11-08, 03:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always try to stain and apply 2 coats of poly on the treads before installation. I also try to prime and apply 1 coat of enamel to the risers and skirt board. Besides being a little easier/quicker this also cuts down on the time that the stairs are out of service