Prefinished Maple/Sand or Buff and Recoat

Old 02-14-08, 05:14 AM
Prefinished Maple/Sand or Buff and Recoat

I just puchased a ten year old home with (I think) prefinished solid maple flooring. The wood is in good shape, but there are dog/cat/kid scratches in high traffic areas. I would like to repair this without sanding. I really like the gold tone and I'm thinking I'll lose that if the floors are sanded. I've called two refinishers and both said that the floors would need to be sanded down to bare wood (without seeing the floor). One said that there is too much risk of a new finish not adhering if you just do screening.

Also, a couple of areas are creaky. (I'm pretty sure it's due to subfloor coming up in a few spots because there's an area in a tile bathroom that has this issue.) The creaky spot is near a closet and it looks to me like a section of the floor could be removed, the subfloor nailed down, and the floor could be replaced. One of the flooring refinishers said that most of the time, creakiness can't be fixed. That didn't sound right to me.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-08, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What seems to be your question? The people you called are correct, you gotta sand down he existing floor and refinish it.

Old 02-15-08, 09:08 AM
Every once in a while - the pros are giving good advice and not trying to rip you off. This is one of those cases.........