lining up rows started separately

Old 02-14-08, 03:55 PM
lining up rows started separately

Hi, I have a large living room / dining room separated by an archway. The archway consists of a dividing wall that protrudes about 3ft on either side into the long space. I'm installing 3 1/4n solid maple on a good flat 3/4 ply subfloor. The house is 1985 and very straight.

I understand how to set up a chalkline & start the 1st row ... my worry is that if I start on the long wall, then I must start two separate independent rows on either side of the divider, then hope they join up perfectly after the 12 or sow rows of the 3ft are up ... any tips on how to tackle this?

Thanks so much.
ps: Sorry if this has been covered (geddit?!) but there's so much on this site it's hard to search ...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-08, 09:06 AM
Solid wood, correct??? I had the same exact situation recently with my latest project. You can purchase wood strips (can't recall the terminology" that fit (glue/nail) into the groove portion of your wood, creating a second "tongue". This allows you to run your tongue and groove one way (the longest axis of your run) and reverse the direction of the tongue and groove in the other direction. Someone will chime in with the proper terminology - or go to a decent wood flooring supplier and tell them the above info - they'll know what you're talking about. Start your floor along the longest axis - and go both directions with your tongue and groove - bypassing the wall issue. Hope this is clear!!

Old 02-15-08, 10:54 AM
Thanks thezster. Yes, solid maple. So what you're saying is start in the middle of the room along the long axis with a single strip having a tongue sticking out on both sides, then work my way out in both directions to the walls, wrapping around any protrusions, etc.

Likewise, if I have two rooms or a hallway and a room, joined by a doorway, would it work to start in the doorway with a double-toungued plank, and work my way out into both rooms?

If I have an upstairs hallway with four bedrooms going off it, would that approach work, or would it be better to do each room as one unit, with a T-board making the join in the thresholds?

Old 02-15-08, 04:33 PM
You got the idea... just wish I could remember what the strip is called....

As far as the other situations - I, for one, prefer to put a threshold at my doorways, allowing me to change the pattern from a hallway into a room if I want to... Otherwise, that hallway/bedroom (with the door open) could look like a bowling alley....

Old 02-16-08, 08:22 AM
It's called a "spline", or "slip-tongue", used to "reverse direction" or "back-fill". Thanks Google.