Installing Hardwood into two adjoining rooms

Old 02-15-08, 01:37 PM
Installing Hardwood into two adjoining rooms

I have two adjoining rooms both roughly 12 x 14 each. There is a pocket door that is in the miidle between the two rooms. I'm trying to figure out where to start so that the two rooms match at the doorway or as hardwood passes through the doorway into the adjoining room. If I start at the wall it's roughly four feet from the pocket door opening and I'm afraid there is no way the seam could line up correctly at that point. Do I start in the doorway and work my way back? Can you install real hardwood in reverse? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 02-15-08 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Removed email address. Spam prevention
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-08, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why not put a transition piece in this doorway?

Old 02-15-08, 02:27 PM
Hi jbuck99, yes you can install in reverse. You can use a spline or slip-tongue. (a strip of wood you insert into the groove, to make it into a tongue).

One approach might be to start at the pocket door and nail through the tongue, add a course, nail, etc 'til the room is done.

Then you need to reverse back across the adjoining room, but you have an exposed groove. So you turn it into a tongue using a spline, and carry on in the usual way.

Your hardwood supplier should have splines or cut your own from scraps or plywood. It will look better than breaking it at the doorway.

Try googling on spline, slip-tongue, and back-fill.