Compressor's SCFM = nails per minute?

Old 02-16-08, 12:46 PM
Compressor's SCFM = nails per minute?

I'm looking at nailers and they're talking about 70-90 psi operating pressure. Then I look at compressors and they give a max. pressure, but also a SCFM which I guess equates to the number of nails/staples you can do per minute. Does anyone have a converson factor for SCGM to nails per minute?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-08, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
Standard cubic feet per minute.

The air tools will also be rated with an SCFM number which tells you the minimum air volume requirement for them to operate properly. I don't think there is a general rule that equates either pressure or volume (SCFM) to nails per minute. My guess is that if you look at the spec sheets on the nailers, somewhere you'll find a figure for how many nails it will shoot in a given period.

Old 02-18-08, 09:44 AM
Typical DIYer compressors ($200 - $300) capable of 100psi (get more than you think you need) typically have high pressure, but not high volume. On the other hand, nailers don't use much volume - and are capable of shooting nails faster than you'll ever need them to. As mentioned above, check the specs on the gun for air supply requirements - then try to buy another 10%+ more capablity.

Old 02-18-08, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Give that man a beer. The only nail shooter I have is a brad shooter and I can blast it all day on my pancake compressor. Makes sense, though, that a nail shooter wouldn't blow through available air like a tool using a constant supply like a die grinder, sander, etc.