salvaging attic floor for kitchen

Old 02-16-08, 06:28 PM
salvaging attic floor for kitchen

our house was built in the 1860's, with an addition put on about 20 years later. the addition has our kitchen. the original part of the house has these great wide pine floors on the first and second floor, but the addition was done with narrower oak, which were also severerly damaged on the first floor due to various water leaks over the decades.

what we'd like to have is that same pine flooring in the kitchen. i'm wondering what the odds are that the old unfinished floor boards in the original attic space are the same as those below? the widths and lengths seem to be the same, but i'm not 100% on whether its even the same type of wood. how can i tell without bringing in an expert? i've heard its fairly common for the same boards to be up there and old house folks can often salvage them for repairs and patches.

if they match i was going to nail them down on top of the old floor, a mix of that oak and the patches of plywood i had to put it. at that point i'd have the floors in the original part of the house and these salvaged ones all refinished to match.

any help you guys can offer would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-08, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It could be the same flooring. Can you take a picture of the wood and post the image here? You can upload it to a website like photobucket.com and insert the IMG code in a post.

Old 02-18-08, 09:08 AM
well, might be a lost cause anyhow. might not be enough up there to do the kitchen afterall. theres definitly some of the same boards, but several areas have different stuff. from my quick math it seems like i'll be short to cover the toatal square footage with the good stuff.

oh well, looks like its gonna be a nice slate floor. i'll save the boards for other projects.