Water and cat urine stains on Hardwood

Old 02-17-08, 10:56 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water and cat urine stains on Hardwood

I bought a 51 year old home with natural 3/4 inch thick oak flooring, laid down in 2 inch wide strips of various legnths. It has suffered water stains and cat urine stains. I've read up on how oxalic acid products can bleach water stained wood back to the original wood patina. Will this work on cat urine stains as well? What should I be careful about?

Old 02-17-08, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's almost impossible to get cat urine stains out of wood. You may have to sand down as much as possible and apply a darker stain to try and "hide" the urine.

Old 02-17-08, 05:34 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the response, HotinOKC. I was afraid of that. Maybe I have to pull up the boards, trade them out for other boards in a less conspicous place, and go from there. Fortunately, the boards are thick so maybe sanding will help. Bleaching doesn't seem to do it.

Old 02-18-08, 09:39 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just finished pulling up/refurbishing/relaying 1000 sq. ft of 100 year old hardwood that included urine stains in spots. Best way to get rid of that stain was to cut out the offending wood - burn it - and replace with newer clear products - after which everything was sanded/stained/sealed..... and looks brand new! I could have tried staining a very, very dark color - but it wasn't worth the risk of having the stains stand out - even a little bit.

Old 02-18-08, 02:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Yep, I'd cut them out and replace with boards from another location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: