How important is "lay with the light" rule for laminate??

Old 02-17-08, 08:23 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How important is "lay with the light" rule for laminate??

I'm going to be putting in laminate in three rooms all are VERY similar. 11.5 X11 feet, one window in the middle of the 11.5 foot wall, doorway on the 11 foot side.

My question if i lay the flooring "with the light" from the window it will be "across" the doorway. I'm not sure how to do this since my door molding is not straight and there would be a gap between the first row and the area right around the door way- see outline in attached pic.

If I lay the boards this way how do I fill that gap? with a very small piece of board? If the light rule is not a big deal then I can lay the bards perpendicular to the way the board is shown in the Picture and solve my problem. However there must be a way to do it with the light - I can't be the first person with door trim like this. BTW - I'll be using quarter round in the rest of the room - but I cant put quarter round on this door molding.

thanks

Wembely

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-08, 12:12 PM
W
You get a special saw to cut away enough of the door molding to slide the boards under. Japanese pull saw, for example.

Old 02-18-08, 01:25 PM
T
As mentioned above, the first thing to do is cut the door casing/molding flush so you can slide your new floor underneath it. No big deal - $10 at a big box store.

If you have a table saw (if it was me) I start with a full piece (width) at the transition from tile to wood - and rip the full length of the wall that follows. If not - your suggestion to install a "thinner" piece in the threshold is totally viable. You'll have to rip the 30 or so inch piece to size - but shouldn't be too difficult.

As far as "rules" are concerned... there are no rules.... lay it how you like the look.

Old 02-18-08, 04:41 PM
W
Smile thanks for the replies. have already under cut door

just not apparent in the Pic. I'm using the 3.5 inch boards with the V grooves. Don't know if that makes any difference with the lay with the light rule. final question: I have also now heard that you want to lay the boards with the flow of traffic through the entryway not "across".. The room is pretty much square. any thoughts on this, is it BS?

thanks again for all your help

Old 02-22-08, 02:23 PM
Don't forget that you will need a transition molding between the tile and the new flooring. I have installed several rooms of flooring very similar in color to what you have with many doorways. Doorways are a pain but extra care here will make a big difference in how good the finished job looks. In all but one room I layed the planks parallel to the light from the windows. In my case the difference is noticable with the exception room not looking quite as good as the others. It was my first room (the dining room) and it has 2 doorways on oposite sides. When I did my initial measuring I just couldn't get the first and final rows that would have run parallel to the door openings (like in your picture) to come out right - it would have been quite thin boards on each side. So I flipped the direction to solve that problem. Good luck with your project.