Poly Finish

Old 02-20-08, 07:13 AM
Poly Finish

My contractor placed his 'last' coat of poly on my floor yesterday. I think he did a sloppy job because I see little specs and clumps all over the floor. It's not horrible and you can only see the specs/clumps when you bend over and look closely. Is this normal or should he have done a better job?

I denied paying him his final payment the morning of his final day as he requested (which the contract clearly states after the job is completed) and he got pissed off and was yelling at me over the phone. Since he started on the floor right after the conversation, I suspect the anger caused him to do a sloppy job.

I haven't given him his final payment so I'm expecting him to fix it.

My question is, what is the best way to fix this so I can be sure he does it properly?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-08, 08:57 AM
It boils down to expectations and clarity. If the defects are noticeable enough that you aren't happy (without being a nitpicking customer) - then he should be present with you to take a look at the floor and have a chance to see the defects. On the other hand (without being there in person to see the finished product), it "is" a floor - and within a couple of days, you'll never notice any issues. Sounds as if he didn't wipe down the floor well enough prior to the final coat - leaving "stuff" to produce the defects that you see.... You will rarely get the finish that you see in the showroom _considering that is usually a 4x4 sample that allows for perfection... and there will probably bit small bits of "slop" in a real job. Why not ask him to visit you and go over the specifics. A true pro is proud of his work and will redo anything that is truly suspect.