Piano on laminate

Old 02-22-08, 11:28 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Piano on laminate

If I put in a laminate floor (over the concrete slab), can it stand up to the weight of an upright piano? I would hate for it to indent the floor! I would be using the Lock N Seal product from Sam's Club.

Thanks!
Changeup

Old 02-22-08, 02:57 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums Changeup

Absolutely! What I did was put some furniture pads underneath the wheels. I don't have Sam's Lock N Seal but I do have laminate wood throughout my house and have not had issues even when dropping my hammer and other tools here and there. You may want to see if you can buy a sample piece and test it out before deciding to buy the product.

Old 03-02-08, 06:31 AM
My piano is on solid hardwood. Some painos can be extraordinarily heavy and sitting in the same place all the time are likely to cause dents. So, between the wheels and the floor are special pads the diameter of a CD-rom. They are very sturdy plastic, flat on the underside, and cupped on the top side to receive the wheel. They distribute the load so that there is no way a dent could happen. Note that this is also good for the piano, because it makes it more stable, too. Most floors are not dead level, so the other thing I had to do was put shims under one of the pads (I used CD-Rom!) so that the paino's weight was evenly distributed. Rock music is good, but a rocking piano is not! Go see a paino dealer to find some good pads. The ones for ordinary furniture are not going to be as good.

Old 03-08-08, 09:03 PM
V
Tips from a piano tuner

I have several customers who have piano's on laminate floors and many more on hardwood floors. I suggest caster cups, (but moving discs work fine also), to distribute the weight. I also recommend leaving the piano 2 to 3 inches away from the wall, that way the tuner won't have to move it evertime he needs to open the top. That will be easier on your floor and the tuner's back (hehe).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: