Question on applying polyurethane with a lamb wool applicator?

Old 02-23-08, 12:30 PM
Question on applying polyurethane with a lamb wool applicator?

Hey guys,

Im going to start my DIY project in my bedroom. Whats is the best way to apply urethane to the floor while using the lmab wool applicator. Do you pour the urethane on the floor then use the applicator, or do you rub of the applicator on a painting pan that has urehtane in it already... what do you guys think?????

Another thing I know the basics already except the concept of keeping a wet edge????

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-08, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi BMW,

I've never used a lamb's wool applicator to apply poly...I'd think you might have a problem with "fuzz" I usually use a quality brush that indicates it is made for use with polyurethane.

As for the concept of a "wet edge", it means to overlap your strokes on the next section before the first section has a chance to dry. Otherwise, you'll be able to tell where you stopped and then started again.

Connie

Old 02-23-08, 02:09 PM
OK great. That makes sense. I had an idea thats what it was.

Anyone else with expeirence on lamb wool aplicators?

Old 02-23-08, 03:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll have better control of the amount of poly you apply if you dip the applicator.

Old 02-25-08, 04:54 AM
I've simply used a paint tray with the lambs wool applicator attached to an extension pole and dipped it in. No problem at all with "fuzz." Keep a wet edge as suggested and do the whole floor at once, a coat at a time. It's pretty easy and somewhat forgiving assuming it's water based. Just don't attempt to apply too thick a layer all at once. Following manufacturer's application procedures should ensure good results. Other than that, perfect surface prep is the key to great and lasting results. Any foreign substances on the floor, such as salts, oils, etc. will likely cause the finish to fail, perhaps not tomorrow, but someday before you'd like. Good luck.

Old 02-26-08, 09:20 AM
Thanks a million guys,

What are your suggestions with mixing the urethane with 10% mineral spirits. Is that helpful, or will that affect the sheen of the semi gloss???

Old 02-26-08, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally it is best to apply the finish without thinning it but there are times that it is benificial to thin it a little to help it flow better. 10% is the maximum amount you should thin the urathane, you may not need to thin it that much.

A lot of thinner might affect the sheen [also reduces the film thickness] but 10% or less shouldn't hurt anything.

Old 02-26-08, 01:06 PM
thanks for the advice..