Kitchen floor decision

Old 02-24-08, 08:52 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen floor decision

I need help with two issues. First, I would like to lay laminate wood over my ceramic tile in my kitchen. The first problem I have is the height difference. The laminate would be approx. .25 inch higher. Can I just use a transition peice or will this present too big of a problem? The height difference doesn't bother me as long as it is smooth. The second problem is that we have existing heart pine floors that the laminate butts up to. Should I try to match the kitchen floor with the current floor or should I go with a completely different wood/finish? I know the best thing is to remove the ceramic, but I really don't have the time to do so. Any help would be great.

Old 02-26-08, 09:36 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums diymommyof2

Not the pro around here but I'm sure someone will get around to your question.

I was just pondering on the issue of your exisiting heart pine floors that you would be butting up to the laminate wood in the kitchen. Are the pine floors in a totally different room? I personally would probably not try and match it up as that is what it will look like. It'll look like you tried to match it but couldn't. But, that's just my opinion. If it's a totally different room, I'd go completely opposite. Just remember, it's "personal choice". Go by what you like and what looks good to you. Get some sample pieces that you like and lay it next to that pine and go from there.

Also, you will HAVE to use a transition piece in any case from floor to floor b/c the laminate wood needs that expansion gap.

Old 02-26-08, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i would strongly discourage you from covering real ceramic tile with fake plastic wood, ESPECIALLY when you have REAL wood floors in the very next room. nothing makes fake laminate look faker than the real stuff close by to compare it to. also, you're trading maintenance-free waterproof ceramic (ideal for kitchens) for laminate which HATES water, in a room where water & spills are frequent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: