old floor and dark stains

Old 03-02-08, 09:31 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
old floor and dark stains

Our house is 50+ years old. The original living room has a hardwood floor. The people who owned the house 15-20 years ago (2 owners ago) covered it with wall-to-wall carpeting.

We removed that this weekend. Most of the floor is in good shape, needing only a light buffing. The middle of the room and the middle of the hall have some big black stains. I tried a couple different solutions and sanding with my orbital sander.

Of course the stains had penetrated the wood. The best I could do was either leave an obvious dark area or actually bleach it out with a very diluted mix of water, bleach, and detergent.

We want to keep the floor.

My questions:

1) Is there anything on the market today that will lighten those stains and allow new finishes to blend? We will refinish the entire floor.

2) I have to replace some of the boards along the wall anyway. How difficult is it to replace the boards in the center, given its tongue and groove?

Old 03-02-08, 10:02 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My wife and I had a similar situation after we got this place about 3-1/2 years ago. As you have already done, we cleaned and sanded as much as possible and practical, then we used a medium-shade stain to slightly darken the entire floor while blending the spots as best we could before applying a low-gloss finish. Anyone looking closely can still see some spots with color inconsistencies, but that is part of the character of an older house, eh?!

I have never tried replacing boards in the middle of a floor, and neither would I even attempt that unless absolutely necessary. But, maybe somebody else knows how that might be done without creating an even-worse situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: