Wood Laminate Floor. How bad do they smell?

Old 03-07-08, 04:02 PM
Wood Laminate Floor. How bad do they smell?

Hi,
I'm new here so please excuse if this topic has been covered. I am considering having Wood Laminate floors installed but keep read that they smell. Could someone tell me roughly how long they smell after installation. I'm smell sensitive, but could stand it for a few days. An indefinate stinky period would definately rule out the wood laminate.

One last thing, I have an American Bulldog and when she drinks, she does get some water droplets on the floor. Not a soaking. But, I am wondering if I am going to have to run after her, wiping after her everytime she drinks. I guess I would have to do the same hting if I got hardwood floors too. Im hoping this is not the case.
Thanks in advance,
Diana

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-08, 07:58 AM
Many floor finishes and adhesives off-gas volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Look for a flooring product that is low or no VOC.

Spills should be wiped up immediately. Placing dog's water dish on a mat might help with water splatters.

Old 03-12-08, 01:45 PM
My laminate flooring has no odor that I can tell. Water should be cleaned up promptly, however, my cats often hack up hairballs that remain for some hours until someone gets home and notices. No damage at all.

Old 03-14-08, 06:16 PM
you could get laminate flooring that uses no glues, the pieces just snap into each other.

chris

Last edited by GregH; 03-14-08 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Remove personal website address..............Not permitted!
Old 03-15-08, 12:14 PM
I put pergo "Prodigy" down in my kitchen four years ago, and there was absolutely no odor. This floor had the backing preinstalled.

I just put down some of their American Cottage in a den last month, and it had quite an odor. This floor also had the backing preinstalled, and that is where the odor was coming from.

The odor was fairly strong at first, but gradually tapered off in about a month.