Can I install new 3/4 hardwood over linoleum?

Old 03-08-08, 01:21 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Can I install new 3/4 hardwood over linoleum?

I have a room that I'd like to install new 3/4" prefinished tongue and groove wood as a floor. What is there now is linoleum roll that is glued to 1/8" paneling wood. The paneling wood is screwed into the original flooring which is 3/4" tongue and groove fir. Under that are the floor joists, there is no subflooring.

Can I simply nail my new floor on top of this? I am hoping so, rather than taking off the linoleum and paneling layer.

thx..!

Last edited by dvarga; 03-08-08 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-24-08, 12:50 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvarga
I have a room that I'd like to install new 3/4" prefinished tongue and groove wood as a floor. What is there now is linoleum roll that is glued to 1/8" paneling wood. The paneling wood is screwed into the original flooring which is 3/4" tongue and groove fir. Under that are the floor joists, there is no subflooring.

Can I simply nail my new floor on top of this? I am hoping so, rather than taking off the linoleum and paneling layer.

thx..!

Sure. A few things to consider though. When you lay a new floor you need to install a moisture barrier such as tar paper. Your existing vinyl will act as an excellent moisture barrier. However, remember that your floor will now be 3/4" higher than before. Check to see if appliances will still fit for example sometimes there is a cabinet over the fridge and if its a tight fit now, it will not fit after you lay the floor. Also, since the floor will be nailed to the vinyl, you will want to make sure that your fasteners are long enough to make it clear through to the T&G fir. ALso consider height differences to the adjacent rooms and how you are going to address the transition.

Good Luck.

Old 03-24-08, 06:54 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
thanks

Thank you, very helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: