DIY question, refinish or replace? Expert opinions?

Old 03-11-08, 07:42 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY question, refinish or replace? Expert opinions?

Hello Experts,

I;ve been searching the internet for last couple weeks on repairing my wood floors. I'm a hardcore DIY, but have 0 experience working with wood floors.

Background info:
Purchased a house 3 years ago, has wood floors in every room, including bathrooms and kitchen.

Half the floors appear to be braz cherry, extremely hard, very little to no scratches, 0 dents. But very little clear coat left on them, some areas have none. Also it looks like someone did a bad DIY sanding job. There are some areas near wall that have deep gouges where they must of left belt sander to long, other areas have the wave or ripple effect. Also the floors in kicthen are water damaged (badly) from what looks like a dishwasher explosion at one point.

The other half are some kind of very soft wood (pine?). If you look at the wood wrong it dents. Also has a dark stain that is chipping in high traffic areas. This seems rather impractical for the living room / bathroom.

So what would be the best plan to go with?

Should i attempt to re-sand the floors or maybe hire someone to re-sand and just apply finishes myself?

Just throw hardwood engineer or laminate floating floors on top of existing?

Or maybe a combination of the two?

Is it practical to have hardwood floors or engineered in high abuse areas like bathrooms and kitchens? Should i just use a pergo brand in these areas?

Thanks!

-jc

Old 03-13-08, 04:32 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The best thing about real wood floors is that they can be resanded/stained/sealed to look like new. It's not a job for a DIYer (in my opinion) as the tools to do it right can damage the floor lickity split if you're not competent with them (as you see from your current floor). Redoing the floor will take about 3 days and will cost you about $2.75/sq. ft... and will result in a finish that will last another 20 years or so.

I've put wood in kitchens with good results... bathrooms tend to get a lot wetter - and water is the enemy of wood floors.... Though I will admit that I've got one bathroom with a wood floor - and with care (wiping spills/use of bath mats) it looks great and will for years to come.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: