1/4" or 1/2" gap for laminate flooring?

Old 03-16-08, 05:14 PM
1/4" or 1/2" gap for laminate flooring?

Should I keep a 1/4" or 1/2" gap when installing laminate flooring? I have read both? The guy at HD suggested 1/4". The length of the longest side of the roughly 'L' shaped floor is 330".

thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-08, 04:07 PM
Each laminate manufacturer has its own specific installation instructions. Follow them carefully in order not to void warranties. 1/4" tends to be the most commonly recommended expansion gap, but some manufacturers recommend 5/16", 3/8", or other. Read the instructions. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer's customer service number.

Old 04-06-08, 01:39 PM
i have helped with 2 floors 3/8 is what we used worked well no prob. one is 5yrs now

Old 04-16-08, 03:13 AM
We always cut small peices of the laminate and use them for spacers. If you use a small 1/4 in then you may run into a problem if the wall is not perfectly straight ( most are not).
If you have any trim molding such as t-molding you have leave a gap that it will fit in
Also alot of people spend alot of time starting off trying to get the floor straight dont worry about that untill you have about 4 or 5 rows then square it up