what about doorways?

Old 03-16-08, 06:36 PM
what about doorways?

I know that i've got to pull off the baseboards in order to see if i'm leaving a .25" gap, but what about doorways? I cant pull the doorjambs off...? Do I just have to cut the plank to fit as tight as possible?

Thanks,
Clay

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-08, 03:54 PM
Door jambs are undercut so that flooring slips underneath and there are no gaps.

Old 03-20-08, 05:16 PM
thanks for your reply. Yes, i realized that, but in order for the planks to lock together, you have to angle one of them up, but when i get to working around a doorjamb, how am i going to get the planks to lock together and slide under the doorjamb? Will I have to start that row at the doorjamb and work away from it? Once the planks are locked together can they slide in their grooves?

Old 03-20-08, 07:34 PM
What I did was use a doorjamb transition piece that was designed for tongue-and-groove hardwood flooring. It looked a bit like 'T' molding, only it is solid on one side. Your local Big Box store should carry something similar.

Another thing you could do was leave a gap at the doorjamb and then fill the gap with the 'gap filler' caulk that is made for laminate flooring. Silicone based caulk would probably work in a pinch, although it would not be color matched for your flooring. Another alternative would be to use threshold molding that is designed for whatever brand of laminate you are using.