What size screw to go up through basement to a squeaky floor?

Old 03-17-08, 07:33 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question What size screw to go up through basement to a squeaky floor?

hey friends

sorry if this question has been posted before, but i searched and searched and couldnt not find the answer

Q: i have a couple of spots in my first floor (hardwood floors that squeak)...what SIZE and TYPE of screw (drywall? deck?) should i screw up from bottom of sub floor which i would have to access from basement?

thanks
bam

Old 03-17-08, 08:24 AM
A little math addition, does wonders!!

What is the thickness of the substrate?
What is the thickness of the flooring?

Add those two together, and get a shorter screw.

Old 03-17-08, 08:44 AM
B
i dont know thickness of floor

i dont know know the thickness of subfloor or hardwood floors are on top

all i can say is that the home is 10 years old built by Toll Brothers...are there typically 2 pieces of plywood for the
1st floor and then whatever the thickness of the hardwood floor is? is is safe to say that 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 would be ok to screw up from subfloor?

thanks
bam

Old 03-17-08, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
All depends on how it was built, min spec, pro spec, etc. Is it true hardwood flooring or some sort of engineered product?

I would not take a chance. Go somewhere not noticable, closet, panty, etc. Drill a small hole down, have a spotter on the other side. With the tip of the bit flush, mark the bit and measure it. That should at least give you a total measurement. Plugging the holes is easy.

Pre-drill so that the screws grab and pull the wood together. I wouldn't put any screws too close to the end of a board for fear of splitting.

Not a flooring expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just what I would do if it were my place.

Old 03-17-08, 10:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
Do you have a heating vent in the floor anywhere? If so, take off the cover and measure the thickness that way.

Also, having someone relatively heavy standing on the spot in the floor immediately above where you're putting the screw each time to press everything together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: