Another hardwood over concrete question(s)

Old 03-17-08, 07:19 PM
Another hardwood over concrete question(s)

Hi all,

Quick couple questions about a possible hardwood installation over concrete basement floor.

I'm working my way through a basement remodel, and I like the idea of a solid hardwood floor. My floor has never leaked, and is very dry. On a recent jack post relocation, I discovered that the builder had installed 6mil poly below the floor, so moisture isn't really an issue. As well, when we moved in 8 years ago, we painted the floor with a quality oil paint to keep the dust down - which it does wonderfully.

Now, I have about 600 square feet of floor to cover (3 rooms- 2 halls, and 1 closet), and came across a fantastic deal on 5/16" x 2 1/4" Ash strip flooring (tongue and groove). I don't really want to glue the wood to the concrete, as the thought of scraping off all the enamel paint doesn't sit right. My idea is to cover the painted concrete with Quiet-Walk, and float the hardwood over that (glue the strips together) forming a large wood carpet over my basement floor.

Will this work, or am I barking up the wrong tree... I don't really want to lay a sub-floor (thickness issue), as I'm trying to match some existing heights with adjacent carpeted flooring.

Any advice / experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact by email address removed.
Not allowed in the forums.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-18-08 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-08, 02:32 AM
Solid hardwood flooring should not be installed over concrete below grade in basement. Moisture is an issue. The poly beneath the concrete slab is a vapor retarder, not a barrier. All concrete has vapor emissions. Temperature and humidity are also major factors in basement areas that affect flooring materials. http://www.moisturetesting.com/concr...ture_vapor.htm

For those who want a wood floor in basement areas, engineered wood is available. Engineered wood is more dimensionally stable than solid hardwood and can better deal with fluctuations in temperature and humidity. A vapor retarder is installed over the concrete for additional protection before installing flooring.

Check with the manufacturer of the product that you have found to see if it can be installed below grade. Each manufacturer has very specific instructions for subfloor prep, vapor retarders, acclimation, and installation. These must be followed carefully in order to not void warranties. There are transition pieces available for making the transition between to different types of floor coverings of different heights.

Old 03-20-08, 01:12 PM
Basements or anything below grade, is no place for solid wood flooring, PERIOD.

You can try to float a solid, but good luck keeping it together!