Staples or nails?

Old 03-21-08, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staples or nails?

Can someone please comment on which is better for installing 3/4 in hardwood flooring - staples or nails?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-08, 06:57 AM
May be i'm crazy, but it seems to me that a staple would provide twice the holding power of a nail.

Old 03-22-08, 09:06 AM
I prefer serrated nails in a pneumatic floor nailer. Once they go in - they will not (NOT) come out (without destroying the wood)

Old 03-22-08, 09:21 AM
Staples would also be inserted using a pneumatic device, and
many (if not all) staples would be coated with a friction activated adhesive that will bond the staple to the substraite also "not (NOT) come out (without destroying the wood)"

Hey good luck with your project.

Old 03-22-08, 09:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh, let me throw my hat in the ring, too!

You need to check with the flooring manufacturer for your floor. Some, but not all, floors state you can use staples.

I think it's partly to do with how hard the wood is, some woods will be prone to splitting at the tongue more than others.

Also, with temperature changes and changes in humidity, staples are more likely to loosen and cause squeaks. Like Z says, the nails have that serrated tooth that help keep the boards from loosening.

Old 03-24-08, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Baileyboy View Post
Can someone please comment on which is better for installing 3/4 in hardwood flooring - staples or nails?
I have used both. My preference is staples. I have been laying floors for the last 13 years doing an average of 300-400 homes per year. The staples we use are glue coated and barbed. If you have to remove a board out of the floor, often times the staple will remain after the board breaks. I feel that its mostly personal preference. Staples are less expensive than L or T nails.

Another thought to consider is your substrate. Is it OSB or plywood? I prefer staples on OSB and nails on plywood...

Old 03-24-08, 09:21 AM
Thanks for your answers - the floor will be laid over plywood in one room and over 3/4 x 6 floor boards in a separate room

Old 03-24-08, 10:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm sorry, I don't mean to harp on this, but it still depends on the type of floor as well as the subfloor, whether you nail or staple (or glue)

Here's an example of Bruce flooring- it's a chart indicating which method is best to use for which flooring:

http://www.becklerscarpet.com/hardwo...s.php?man_id=6