engineered hardwood flooring over concrete

Old 03-22-08, 07:41 AM
engineered hardwood flooring over concrete

I am wanting to get Bamboo engineeredhardwood installed over a concreat floor in my downstairs (not basement) living room. The floor is fine, no cracks or leaks. Does Engineered hardwood work well, and stick well over concrete? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-08, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi,

I'm not sure how to answer you Anything will stick well if you use the correct adhesive. You should use only engineered wood over a concrete slab. It will need to be tested for moisture, and that doesn't have anything to do with whether you've seen water in the basement.

It sounds like this is your first time hiring someone to do a job like this, so let me give you a couple of hints for your own protection:

First, are you sure you want bamboo? Do you have dogs or children that might cause your floor to dent?

Get three estimates from three different companies for the install. Just because you buy it at the big box store, doesn't mean they have to install it for you.

Make sure your installer is licensed, bonded and insured to work in your county. Ask for references (recent) and then contact those references. If possible, visit other sites that your installer has done.

Don't sign a contract until you've thoroughly read it, but be sure you ARE signing a contract, not just an estimate. Don't keep making changes after the contract is signed- it costs you more money and often causes unplanned work for the contractor.

Ask your installer what you need to do to prepare for the installation. Be sure he will remove all waste, unless you're willing to do that for him/her.

Connie

Old 03-22-08, 04:22 PM
Have the concrete tested for moisture vapors(you can't see vapor) Make positive the surface of the concrete is flat! And I don't mean, "looks flat to me" 1/8" in 6' radius is the standard requirement for substrate flatness. Check with a straight edge layed on the surface of the concrete, and move it all over in many directions. Mark the spots that teeter-tooter Grind those down. That is a high spot. Now map the low spots and fill them with a latex fortified portland patching compound, like Mapei, Webcrete, Dependable or Ardex(there is others)
Let that dry out for a few days, with a fan going and the AC or heater running, with the fan on, on not auto.
Now, your ready to pop your starting line and spread some good urethane adhesive.

If your moisture levels tested higher then 2.75# per 1000 sq.ft with a Calcium chloride test, or 4 on the upper scale on a Tramex meter, use a moisture barrier membrane and glue system combination, Like Mapei WFM and their 990 adhesive, or Bostik's MVP and their BST, or TKO, or Best adhesive, using the required trowel notching. Blue tape rows together as you work to keep it tight, until the next morning. Then pull the tape and using mineral spirits(NOT PAINT THINNER!!) clean off all the glue smudges you missed the day before, by getting the glare of the sun coming in the window on the floor, to spot them.

Checkout the sticky post above, about concrete floor prep. It has a picture show of the process.