self lever on OSB under laminate

Old 03-24-08, 07:26 PM
self lever on OSB under laminate

I'm laying a floating laminate tile floor. The OSB subfloor is uneven. Can I seal the OSB with sealer or other paint and then pour self leveler? I know I can't use the leveler on the OSB (it will swell) directly but I read where some folks have painted or sealed the OSB first. I need to level for sure, the tile requires less than 2mm max uneven over 1 meter and I have some joists easly that high or higher. Hate to have to cover the 700 sq ft with 1/4 or 3/8 plywood, any suggestions?

Last edited by kschulze; 03-24-08 at 07:31 PM. Reason: misspellings
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-08, 08:31 PM
same situation

I'm doing just that now, OSB over old plank. Make sure the floor is stable if it's a crawlspace. I'm using Levelquik and I use their latex primer also. If you do a second pour within 10 to 12 hours you don't have to prime it again. If you wait till the next day you will. Also if you have a deep area to fill you can screw/nail a roofing shingle to the floor to take up some of the mass. Make sure it's below your pour line though.
My job is still only half finished and Levelquik isn't cheap.
Get a wide screed to help spread it (it doesn't just level out), and don't try mixing to much at a time, unless you have a cement mixer, you won't have time to work it.
Good Luck

Old 03-26-08, 07:32 PM
hey Vunder22, Are you sealing the OSB with the primer and then pouring the leveler over the painted OSB? I have seen leveler that mixes up runny and flows to level...that's not what you're talking about?? I can't afford to pay someone to come in and pour flowable like gypcrete or I would. I was hoping to use something like that but in smaller quantities. I have 700 sq ft to cover because about every fifth or sixth floor joist is uneven. Am I being to anal about the flatness of the floor?

Old 04-07-08, 08:57 PM
Latex Primer

I'm using Levelquik so I'm using their primer ($6.00 bottle) but I think any latex floor primer will do. $28.00 per 50lb bag's not cheap (I'm on my third bag), but it's cheaper than paying someone else. It's a fine line between mixing it to thin and getting it so thick that you waste it because you can't smooth it fast enough. Pour the water in the bucket first then add the mix slowly mixing along the way. Read the mix directions on the bag of whatever you're using. Basically mix it until the watery bubbles go away and it gets creamy, then add a little bit more, mix that and be ready to work fast. You do have to smooth it, I made a homemade screed out of a cheap metal threshhold piece (4' long) with furring strips for support and handle. Make sure you have any holes or cracks sealed up because it will seep through.
If you need to make multiple pours and they'll be more than 12 hours apart, you have to prime again.

Good Luck

Old 04-10-08, 06:32 PM
more direct answer

Hey kschulze,
Yes, I am priming the OSB, and I am using the SLC (LevelQuik), on top of that but you don't want it to runny. That's a fairly large area to do yourself but it depends on how bad it is and what kind of flooring you're putting down. Are the joist's high or low or both? If they're high you might try grinding them down, if they're low the SLC's will fill the low spots but if it's to deep you should use some metal lath for support. If you need to do the whole 700 sq. ft. you'll spend some money, even doing it yourself. Give more detailed info on your project and the pro's here will be able to help you quicker.
Good Luck!