5/16" flooring installation

Old 03-27-08, 09:10 PM
5/16" flooring installation

Hi all.
I'm preparing to install Armstrong/Bruce 5/16" hardwood flooring. I'd like to get the Porta-Nailer 461 because it gets good reviews and is just under $200 w/free shipping. The directions from Armstrong say to use " Stanley-Bostitch S32SXBHF or SX150 or Senco SLS20HF or other machine designed or adapted SPECIFICALLY to 5/16″ solid flooring."

It's the "SPECIFICALLY" that's making me nervous because although the Porta-Nailer specs lists 5/16 as one of the flooring sizes it works with (along with 1/4", 3/8 and 1/2), it does not appear to be adjustable. In fact, I called Porta-Nailer about this and the person on the phone said that it isn't adjustable but should work.

With shipping, the other staplers listed will add about $75-100 in cost. Any insight about the Porta-Nailer 461 for use with 5/16" floors is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-08, 03:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good morning and welcome to the DIY Forums!

I'm sure one of the floor pros will be along in a bit to give you a definitive answer, but I will give you my opinion to consider.

Why don't you call the flooring manufacturer and pose this question to them? Be sure you get the rep's name and date you spoke to them, in case there is some problem later.

I use a Porta nailer, and like it, but if their rep said it "should work just fine", I wouldn't consider that a wrap until I talked to the hardwood manufacturer.

It always depends on what the manufacturer recommends for your specific flooring, so your warranty applies.

Connie

Old 03-28-08, 07:21 AM
Thanks, Connie. I've sent an email and am waiting to hear back. In the meantime, if anyone else has some additional insight, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

phillyfilm

Old 03-28-08, 09:13 PM
Those are just suggestions.

The PortaNailer will work fantastic. Just use the 1" staples.

They can't say "You must use" or they would have to supply that nailer, with the purchase of the flooring, as there are other guns that meet the same specs.

Same way for the oil in your car. If they did, they would have to supply all the oil for the life of your car, for free, as there are other oils that meet the same specs.

Mangum Moss warranty act, or something like that.

Old 03-29-08, 03:24 AM
Thanks, Floorguy! That's good news. Now all I've got to do is keep the lines straight and the Mrs. happy with the color!

Old 04-19-08, 03:52 PM
Follow-up on floor install...not feeling too good about it...

There seem to be so many issues with getting this floor down. Haven't put down a single strip yet because we're trying to get the floor level.

I'm working with a carpenter who insisted that the way to do it is to use significant amounts of glue (PL440) on the OSB that is going over subfloor to make up for uneven areas. We then screw down with lots of screws.

Next step is to use a leveling compound to get a smooth surface. He suggested Ardex, but I couldn't find it, so we settled on Henry 555 Level Pro.

So here's my question: when it is time to start laying down the 5/16" floor, will I be able to staple through the Level Pro? The Ardex?

There is so much different info on the web that I just can't make sense of it all!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-21-08, 07:58 PM
Using glue to build up low areas is bogus. You would have to full spread a glob to do any good as the screws will squeeze it out and not be as thick as you might think.

Cement over wood for a nail down is bad advise. All the leveling should have been done under the additional subfloor with shimming(not glue)
The cement will eventually crack out over the wood substrate, and it will sound like your walking on rice crispies.

Old 04-21-08, 08:30 PM
uh oh...

Thanks Floorguy. Here come the headaches...