Cork Floor Installation

Old 03-29-08, 04:05 PM
Cork Floor Installation

I want to lay cork tiles in my apartment which is presently covered in a very well stuck vinyl floor.. Is there anything I can do to prep the vinyl floor and then tile over it- have heard suggestions of latex film/primer- or do I just have to persevere and remove the vinyl? Also, only the glue down cork tiles are available to me- floating cork floor is not an option. Thank you, all help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-08, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would remove the vinyl before laying the floor.

Obviously you got permission from the landlord to do this?

One vinyl is removed, use Bostik's Best moisture-cure urethane. Do not use a typical 1407 type adhesive found at a local big box. HD has the Bostiks, and it's about $170 for a 5 gal bucket.

Old 03-30-08, 08:59 AM
hello being that it not your house why should you go through pain of removel. 1- if subfloor is concrete you will need a 5" tall scraper and a pair of gloves . if vinyl tile is down they should chip up.if sheet vinyl you should cut srips with ulity knife 2' apart try pulling frome the cornor of the room first sarts easyer. the harder the removel the smaler the sripes 2' 1' 8" 4" then you will need to prep the concrete with underlament {patch} to smothe eveything out @if over wood subfloor the vinyl should of been layed over 1/4 plywood. that you can pop up with a 2' prybarr and then you will need to replace with new 1/4 ply , and that will need to be patched also ,nail and seems of ply. I would just see that the old floor has the wax removed , exsting is bonded good patch any holes and craks and go over it

Old 03-30-08, 12:10 PM
Hey, it is my house, so landlord permission not an issue. Really the problem is that the vinyl is so well glued down. Have cut it into strips and tried to take it up but really it's not budging. So I really wanted to know if gluing cork tiles down on top will stay in place or if they'll come unstuck in a few months. Thanks.

Old 03-31-08, 06:38 PM
ok good to here you take the easy way. do you have the adhesive yet. if so make sure the diretshions call for cork tile installayshion.or the type backing on the tile should be recommeneded in the adhesive.. use the adhesive recommended notched trowels .to much is whorse than not anough.alow recommened open time besure that the floor is clean and dose not have any wax or grease or oil on it. besure that the floor is flat and smooth and dry. very important to roll or press flooring into adhesive. everything should go fine. i did the same thing 10 years ago in my aparment and gluded over everything used vct flooring

Old 03-31-08, 07:39 PM
Yikes, that was like a mix of english and klingon.....

Old 04-01-08, 07:42 PM
sorry about the spelling . Just trying to get out all the info

Old 04-02-08, 02:58 AM
There may be the best case for "Spell Check" to date!

It's all right, Farmer, we understood what you meant, and it's kind of you to reply. Some of the best advice comes from people who have successfully done the same project.

Because there is no spell check, here, you may want to type a suspect word in your browser, then search...Google will say, "Did you mean.....?"

Connie