Engineered Hardwood Floor with Cold Air return in Floor

Old 03-30-08, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Engineered Hardwood Floor with Cold Air return in Floor

Hello,
I am looking to do a floating, engineered hardwood floor into an older home. This room happens to have a cold air return in the floor (crawl space underneath). How would I go about doing the floor installation with the vent there? I am a do it yourselfer so suggestions/links welcome. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-08, 04:42 PM
should be straightforward- cut and lay down the planks up to the edges of the return duct opening (leave 1/8" space for movement). The return air grille cover will hide imperfect edges from the flooring.

Old 03-30-08, 07:27 PM
The grill is currently attached to the below floor (under carpet) and I wasnt planning on raising it any higher. The original flooring is some old tile substance (perhaps has other things under it) and wasnt planning on removing the grill. What would I use pieces for the floor to match the grills as I would between doorways or? This is where I am at a lost, because the floor will obviously be higher than the grille.

Old 03-30-08, 09:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Without raising the grill to new floor level, the only thing I can think of is to install quarter round, around this vent and up against the new floor. It will basically frame the vent in. Might be a tripping hazard too, so be aware of that.

I think the best thing would be to raise the grill...shouldn't be all that difficult??

Old 04-01-08, 01:25 PM
Sorry if this sounds like a wierd question, but would I have to raise the actual vent to the floor.. or just attach the grille to the floor and leave the gap (floor width) to the vent/drop? Also what would be the best to attach the grille to the floor, or would I use a different method?

Old 04-01-08, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can probably just raise the grille to the floor. You may have to find longer screws or secure the grill to the floor in some other manner (glue). Before you do move the grill, run a bead of caulking or low expanding spray insulator where the new floor meets the old.