Evening out uneven oakthreshold..

Old 03-30-08, 03:52 PM
Evening out uneven oakthreshold..

I just finished laying down prefinished HW flooring in my Kitchen, which borders our LR and Den. For the thresholds between all 3 rooms, I'm using a regular 1X5 oak board cut to length, nothing fancy. Slight problem is that the new floor is higher than the oak threshold by a hair or two- my barefoot or sock brushes on the edge of the new floor..I would like for the oak to be exaclty as even with the new floor. Can I use a thin veneer underneath the threshold to fill the gap or are there better means? Believe it or not, the ceral box cardboard is the perfect thickness, but I'm nut sure if I want to be using that permanently. Am gonna use finish nails, but glue is an option, depending on what I end up using below the threshold to fill the gap. Perhaps flooring glue itself would fill that gap? I still prefer nails as its a high traffic area.
Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.
GAM

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-08, 06:14 AM
Lots of options here - were it me, I'd be inclined to shim the inside edge of the threshold with plastic shim material spaced every couple of inches (available at any building supply place, including box stores), then screw down the threshold. If the thickness is slightly too high, you can sand down the 1X along the edge of your new flooring to blend in. Don't use that cereal box.....

Old 04-03-08, 12:46 PM
Sounds good...thanks!

Old 04-03-08, 01:59 PM
I've found pennies used. How cheap can you get, huh?

Prefer plastic scraps from wherever - packaging, vinyl containers, it's all over the place. I run tape over all the shims so they can only shift as one mass - not likely with the screws or nails in. If you want to make very fine adjustments, electricians tape does the trick.

Old 04-04-08, 06:49 AM
that's it...i will do that...have lots of that kind of packaging from my kid's toys Thank you.