Installing hardwood with cabinets

Old 04-04-08, 07:14 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing hardwood with cabinets

Hi,

I'm about to install cabinets and a hardwood floor in my kitchen. I've decided to install the cabinets first with no hardwood underneath to both save a few $$$ and to not risk scratching the floor during cabinet installation.

I'm going to add a layer of plywood under the cabinets so that they'll sit at roughly the same height as the hardwood and also so that the cabinets and appliances won't be boxed in by the hardwood floor. This is where my questions come in.

Should the plywood be slightly thicker than the hardwood and also set back about 1 inch from the edge of the cabinets so that the hardwood can be tucked under the cabinet? Or, should the plywood run right to the edge of the cabinet with the hardwood installed right up to this edge (leaving an expansion gap) and then rely on the cabinet kick plate to cover the gaps?

Any and all input regarding this and other related matters would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 04-04-08, 01:28 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I've always laid my flooring first (always) so that the edges of my floor are sure to run under the edges of the cabinets. As long as the edges (front/sides/back of the cabinets are supported by your flooring (put scrap pieces under the hidden sides and backs) then you don't need to fill in the "empty space" with anything.

It's much easier to nail a floor down without hitting cabinets and trying to work in the toekick area....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: