Hardwood floor brand/e-tailer recommendation--$$ conscious!

Old 04-06-08, 09:17 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood floor brand/e-tailer recommendation--$$ conscious!

We like the price point of Bellawood but after much research, we're quite leery of the brand and LL's customer service.

We just bought a house that we can see ourselves living in for the next 30+ years. Therefore, quality is important. But, our budget is not large so we'd like to keep it under $5/ sq ft, if possible, but no more than $7/sq ft. We're looking for underpriced brand names to look into. I'm also checking out e-retailers such as hoskinghardwood.com and ifloor.com.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-08, 10:19 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
While some good deals may be found online, going with a local retailer provides the opportunity to stop by the store if there is a problem, you need an extra box of wood or trim pieces. Most major brands have good, better, best levels of quality, warranty, and price. Shop around and compare apples to apples.

Old 04-11-08, 11:18 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Considering the fact that is a DIY forum - I might suggest that, instead of engineered products (fake floors) - you consider true hardwood. You can purchase raw oak tongue and groove at a big box store for just under $3.00/sq.ft - install it yourself, and have it sanded/stained/sealed for another $3/sq. ft... then will have a true quality floor that will last a lot longer than that engineered product. If your budget won't handle that - you can always buy a slightly lesser grade oak for around $2/sq.ft (which I just put in my dining room and is beautiful)

Can you tell that I don't appreciate engineered wood products? :-)

Old 08-18-08, 06:51 AM
Bellawood's known for consisting of a lot of seconds. Flooring manufacturers run their mill, choose the best pieces for their 1st quality runs and then whatever's left (i.e. overly knotty pieces/mismilled pieces) goes into the seconds category. And not to waste a bit, companies like Lumber Liquidators sell the seconds at very low prices. Not to say that the seconds won't look great, but sometimes LL neglects to let customers know what they're really getting.

And engineered flooring is real wood and some brands can be sanded and refinished 4 to 5 times, just as many times as solid wood flooring. Laminate flooring is the stuff that's not real.

Old 08-18-08, 07:11 AM
G
I personally know Jeff Hosking's and he does stand behind his products that he offers at a great cost. I would start with www.hoskinghardwood.com and get an estimate from Jeff.

Going into a retail store does have it's advantages, as one of the other posters stated. You get eye contact and close personal attention. Check with your local Retail Flooring Stores. I am NOT talking about LL or HD or any of the other box lot stores. They do not carry hardwood flooring (normally) that is as good a quality as what you will find from locally owned Hardwood Flooring Company!!

Greg - Retired Hardwood Flooring Installer/Refinisher
Maine

Old 08-18-08, 06:46 PM
C
you must be VERY carefull/knowledgable when buying online.

i am looking for engineered wood right now. i bought 2 boxes of BRUCE to color match my room, from LOWS. my durability test = lay out a whole box. put my office chair on it, sit down, and roll on it. this stuff and a box of TARKET from HD. not the right colors, but while durability testing, i found them to be pretty darn good, NO marks at all. .... i then tried a box of HOME LEGEND from HD. this stuff looked really good, so good that i didn't even want to walk on it. but my durability test should that this stuff is, well, umm, lets just say it wouldn't last one day in my home. and my wife and i are pretty easy on out stuff.

my point. i can look great on your computer screen. but that doesn't mean it will look good after you start to use it.

Old 08-18-08, 06:57 PM
C
oh, btw

that home legend stuff was not like plywood. it is a plank on the bottom and the surface plank on the top. with some kind of stuff, i don't know what it is, but it doesn't look like wood, in the middle.

Old 08-18-08, 07:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They typically have MDF type cores.

Old 08-20-08, 04:41 AM
L
Originally Posted by condo-owner
i then tried a box of HOME LEGEND from HD. this stuff looked really good, so good that i didn't even want to walk on it. but my durability test should that this stuff is, well, umm, lets just say it wouldn't last one day in my home. and my wife and i are pretty easy on out stuff.
Can you give more details on why it is not durable? I really like the looks of the floor, but have hesitated buying it because I do not know the company or quaility. Thanks.

Old 08-23-08, 07:18 AM
C
it dents REAL EASY. why ? poor quality i figure. i don't recomend it.

there is a thread on this stuff in the "kitchen & bath" forum, look there for more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: